Downsize

EddyEddy Registered Users Posts: 320 Major grins
edited July 18, 2011 in Cameras
Any one ready to give up their beloved DSLR and donw size due to weight constraints, Would take alot for me to doit. Having a Leica M8.2 and Nikon D300S to spoiled. Must say i did check out the D7000 first 10 shots had oil stains on about 4 shots, and the buffer was terrible nuff said,
E.J.W

Great understanding is broad and unhurried, Little understanding is cramped and busy" ..... Chuang Tsu

Comments

• Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2011
    Wait, are you suggesting I don't have to carry 8kg of gear cross country to take pics? :D
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • TerrytoriTerrytori Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited July 16, 2011
    I am a victory for Laziness.

My Canon 60 D and my Olympus DSLR sit collecting dust along with their glass. Whenever i head out the door i reach for my Olympus Pen, Canon S90 or, as of a couple of weeks ago, my Fuji Finepix X100.

I like packing.

I hate being a pack horse.

The best pictures have soul.

The above boxes are most often capable of capturing it if it's there.
  • puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2011
    Terrytori wrote: »

...The above boxes are most often capable of capturing it if it's there.

Possibly true ... but a lot depends on exactly what 'it' is ... and how *exactly* one wants to capture 'it' ... all imo, of course :)

<< carry 8kg of gear ... >>

20kg + here ... but I cheat - and use a bike :)

pp
  • Mr EddyMr Eddy Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited July 17, 2011
    I went in the other direction. Used m4/3 (G1 and GF1) for a few years and now use a DSLR almost exclusively.
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2011
    Big gear, big confidence.deal.gifthumbrolleyes1.gif

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • MavMav Registered Users Posts: 174 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2011
    I've pretty much ignored my P&S since getting my D90 and, as I have beaten the sensor up a bit, I'm looking to go full frame for the replacement. In terms of keeping things light, I keep to a single zoom lens (18-200) and prime and I have plenty enough versatility.

As well as quality of images and speed, I feel lost without a real viewfinder so I'll be sticking with lugging around my DSLR for the time being thumb.gif
  • silversx80silversx80 Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2011
    While I love my dSLR I have to admit that the PEN E-PL1, which resides in my house, is just loads of fun to use. I don't miss the optical VF when I'm using the PEN, and I find I'm really just focused on grabbing the shot. What's more is that I find I'm able to focus more on composition.

With the new E-P3 to be released soon, I may be a mirrorless convert.
    - Joe
    http://silversx80.smugmug.com/
    Olympus E-M5, 12-50mm, 45mm f/1.8
    Some legacy OM lenses and an OM-10
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2011
    The Pen EP-3 is already announced.
  • silversx80silversx80 Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2011
    The Pen EP-3 is already announced.

Yup. Can't wait to get my hands on a production unit, along with the new 12mm and 45mm lenses. I can hardly contain my anxiety excited.gif. It'll be for sale in a few weeks, with the 12mm. The 45mm, along with the PL3 and PM1 should be for sale in a month or two.

I think the E-P3 will be the "go to" camera for those who want all the control and image quality of a dSLR and none of the bulk. I see it becoming a huge PJ-type camera as well.
    - Joe
    http://silversx80.smugmug.com/
    Olympus E-M5, 12-50mm, 45mm f/1.8
    Some legacy OM lenses and an OM-10
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2011
    I admit, it does interest me quite a bit. The live view (a total novelty to me, as I use a 1DII :D), pocketability, and control really appeal to me. I find that I don't take my DSLR a lot of places that I would take a mirrorless. The new "fast AF" and the 12mm don't help things either. Maybe after a few more L's :)
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2011
    I used a Konica Minolta A2 for a long time and the lag in the EVF was enough for me to never want another camera with an EVF....I still use the KM A2 for landscapes but that is it....I have 2 D300's and to keep my pack light, each body is fitted with a zoom lens (18-70 & 70-200) unless I am going after wildlife and then it is the Sigma BigMa 50-500, when I carry that , well it it is on its own....until I get a good close up lens from Sigma........next camera move will be full frame...no downsizing here..........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website