Model Tammy - Various Looks

BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
edited July 12, 2011 in People
Here's Tammy, an incredible 30+ model proving that birthdays have nothing to do with gorgeous or sexy.

Click the first image for the full Gallery.

p822540064-4.jpg

p807449207-4.jpg

p149349102-4.jpg

p534040752-4.jpg

p509070752-4.jpg

p51082564-4.jpg
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________
Bilsen (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
Canon 600D; Canon 1D Mk2;
24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio.com/
Everything Else: www.pbase.com/bilsen

Comments

• HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2011
    Love the color contrast in #4 especially and maybe a slight crop above the knees. On #6 that small part of the gluts showing really bothers me, sorry about that.
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2011
    What is the intended use of these photos? They would likely be inappropriate for a modeling portfolio and they're not quite glam or fashion or headshots. The pose in the first shot is incredibly unnatural and awkward and the background is pin sharp. This would have been a great candidate for your 50 mm @ f1.4 with a more natural pose. Also, you have her turned so the wind is blowing her hair into her face. headscratch.gif

#2 is probably the nicest in the set but I'm not crazy about the post production (overlay layer style followed by high pass filter?) And again, you have that wind issue. Try turning her face into the wind and you'll get some cool wind blown hair around her face rather than on it.

#3 you again have a pin sharp background that adds nothing to the photo. That light on the underside of her thighs isn't helping either. Also, you have your model posed hunched over in a way that doesn't really flatter her at all. Get her more on the edge of the seat and try a leaning back pose with legs stretched out to give a longer, leaner look.

Nice lighting on #4 but the expression looks forced with her mouth so far open. Personally I'd crop that one tighter so the bottom of the frame was mid-thigh.

#5 has a nice expression but again, you have her posed kind of hunched up. She's lost her neck. Head tipped back more and legs stretched out more and maybe left arm stretched out instead of the right one would have helped.

And #6, well, her bum hanging out just doesn't work here.

You have a cute model but it feels like you're trying to push her sex appeal a bit much. Was this a glamour shoot? A fashion shoot? Portfolio photos? Take a look at LL Bean or Land's End catalogs -- it's possible to shoot women in their 30's in a sexy, yet still refined and elegant style. But I'm not seeing that here. Also, you realize Kate Moss is 37, right? Probably no more proof than that that birthdays have nothing to do with gorgeous or sexy.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2011
    Thanks guys.

I've had reactions on both sides to #6 so I can't say you're incorrect.

Dog, this was a portfolio shoot. We did frames like #1 facing both ways so we did consider the wind.

I truly appreciate the detailed comments.
    24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2011
    Cute lady, looks like a fun shot. The stairs photo is my favorite.
    I would rethink 6, I would nuke that one.

If you want critique for stuff to work on.... Depth of field, light, flattering poses, placement of your subject against the background/setting.
    Depth of field and non distracting surrounds take your eye to the model. The light needs to also take your eye to the model and be flattering to your subject.
    If the surrounds/background are not adding to the photo and making your model look good and the light is not adding to the photo and making your model look good....then really it is just a snap shot.
    If a photographer is satisfied taking snapshots...that is fine....but the work will never grow and improve.

Just having a cute model in the frame is not enough if you want to create art. Everything in the frame needs to be considered as an individual element and evaluated as to whether it is working in the frame.....this of it as a recipe, when the mix it right it is all good. If one part of the recipe doesn't work then the whole dish does not work.

First find the light, then find the background within that light, then place the subject in the frame you have created, then make sure the pose is flattering to the subject (shoulders square to you pretty much never works), interface with the subject, click when you get a good look.

My critique was meant constructively, hope it is received that way :).
    edited July 11, 2011
    Thanks Zoomer. Taken exactly that way.thumb.gif
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited July 11, 2011
    30+ looks pretty good to me!
    edited July 11, 2011
    Me too Jeff.
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2011
    Hackbone wrote: »
    Love the color contrast in #4 especially and maybe a slight crop above the knees. On #6 that small part of the gluts showing really bothers me, sorry about that.

me too, first thing I saw, looks gross, sorry.
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
    edited July 12, 2011
    No problem Trudy. Thanks for the comment.

Interesting that this image (#6) has provoked everything from "gross" to " incredibly sexy". I don't think I've ever had that diverse a comment set.
  • YaflyyadieYaflyyadie Registered Users Posts: 558 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2011
    Hackbone wrote: »

Agree with Hackbone.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    No matter what, your model looks very good.thumb.gif

IMHO.beer.gif