Help! Licensing photos to newspaper

JKLionheartJKLionheart Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
edited July 10, 2011 in Mind Your Own Business
Hi All,

Need some quick advice on how to deal with a newspaper (the SF Chronicle) that wants to use some photos I shot for a friend's company a while back. Do I negotiate a one-time use license? I've never had to go about doing this, any information would be helpful!

Many thanks,
Jeff
Canon 5D Mark II | EF 24-70mm f/2.8L | EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | EF 28-135mm | EF 50mm f/1.8 | EF 100-300 f/4.5-5.6 | EF 100mm f/2.8 macro | Feisol CF 3301N Tripod + Kirk BH-3 Ballhead | Speedlite 430EX

Canon S95 | Panasonic FZ-20 w/ 36-432mm (35mm equiv.) | Canon SD500 | and of course my old Canon S230 =D

http://photos.jklionheart.com
http://jklionheart.smugmug.com

Comments

• AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited July 8, 2011
    ...Do I negotiate...

negotiate? no

quote your price? yes

...a one-time use license?...

yes, if that's the intended use

thumb.gif

• angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2011
    Hi All,

Need some quick advice on how to deal with a newspaper (the SF Chronicle) that wants to use some photos I shot for a friend's company a while back. Do I negotiate a one-time use license? I've never had to go about doing this, any information would be helpful!

Many thanks,
    Jeff

No issues on the 'friends company", right? No infringement, property: real or intellectual?, etc? As long as you're free and clear there, then , as Angelo said, give 'em a price and there it is.
    tom wise
  • JKLionheartJKLionheart Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited July 9, 2011
    Hi guys, after contacting another photographer who works with major sports teams, he said that newspapers simply don't really pay that much for a photo. I guess I will have to try to get what I can, but be firm about not losing my copyright. Thanks for the help!
    Canon 5D Mark II | EF 24-70mm f/2.8L | EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | EF 28-135mm | EF 50mm f/1.8 | EF 100-300 f/4.5-5.6 | EF 100mm f/2.8 macro | Feisol CF 3301N Tripod + Kirk BH-3 Ballhead | Speedlite 430EX

Canon S95 | Panasonic FZ-20 w/ 36-432mm (35mm equiv.) | Canon SD500 | and of course my old Canon S230 =D

edited July 9, 2011
  • Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2011
    Hi guys, after contacting another photographer who works with major sports teams, he said that newspapers simply don't really pay that much for a photo. I guess I will have to try to get what I can, but be firm about not losing my copyright. Thanks for the help!

I work with San Fran papers all the time. They don't pay much and they will not need or even ask for the copyright as they have no use for it.

They also won't ask for more than 1 use unless your images are used in an ongoing story that no future images are possible which is incredibly rare.

Just quote a price and move on. The newspapers are easy to deal although pay is a bit slow and low.
    Steve

Website
  • JKLionheartJKLionheart Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited July 10, 2011
    Thanks Steve! That helps a lot. I even had someone tell me not to assume any pay at all, and that recognition/credit would already be nice to have.

Angelo, I googled around and found people saying that some newspapers basically purchase a photo (for a fairly low price) but also grabs all associated rights to it (sometimes buried in the fine print) such that they can resell/reuse images whenever they chose to do so. Many newspapers nowadays have online galleries where they resell photo prints from articles.

edited July 10, 2011
    Thanks Steve! That helps a lot. I even had someone tell me not to assume any pay at all, and that recognition/credit would already be nice to have.

Angelo, I googled around and found people saying that some newspapers basically purchase a photo (for a fairly low price) but also grabs all associated rights to it (sometimes buried in the fine print) such that they can resell/reuse images whenever they chose to do so. Many newspapers nowadays have online galleries where they resell photo prints from articles.

There certainly has been examples of various types of online galleries that mask their intent to claim distribution rights

suffice to say we must all take caution to control the terms of our image sales. deal.gif

• Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2011

There are indeed small local papers that buy the ownership of the image for what is called a file photo or staff photo. 99.9% of the time, it is when they send you out as an official photographer for the paper. (An assignment job or freelance job).

Large papers do not do this (at least I have not ever heard of it). They will buy an image or several if they happen to stumble across something of interest. This type of thing happens frequently, especially with sports or events that aren't quite big enough for staff photographers to cover.

Depending on what it is, you can expect price ranges from as low as $25 to several hundred dollars. You will get a credit line with the image. Bought images are not licensed for sale (not that I have ever seen or heard of).

With newspapers there really isn't a lot of small print when it comes to their contracts. Don't even worry about that.

One thing to watch (bigger papers will do this for you) is the AP picking up the story. They will snatch your image in a heartbeat and never let you know about it.
    Steve

Website