Options

question about photos....

angang Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited July 10, 2011 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
Hi all

I'm new.....just signed up and about to start getting a Pro site organised.

Just a query.....do you upload the original, full res image eg, 5184x3456 pixels at 72ppi, straight from the camera, as is, unedited, uncropped etc at Photoshop level 10 compression

OR do basic cropping such as removing excess background, color correct a bit if needed, but still keeping the pixel dimensions greater than 2160 on the longest side at Photoshop level 10 compression

OR crop, edit, color correct etc and do all neccessary changes before uploading. I cant work out if you can upload the finished image and the buyer gets that, or do you HAVE to have the proof delay thing set to ON and then do all the changes once they order. If you do the proof delay thing and play around with the image wont it look different to what the buyer is ordering in the first place?

*getting really confused and its only the start!

Ang

Comments

• Options
    sellissellis Registered Users Posts: 192 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2011
    Upload what you want to print. If you show an unedited, uncropped photo, people will think that's what they're getting. I do weddings, so what I upload is considered proofs with basic editing done in Lightroom. I use the proof delay to give me time to retouch the images in Photoshop. If you're doing landscapes or artwork, you want the image to be in it's final form so the person buying sees what they're getting.

Sam
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,275 moderator
    edited July 10, 2011
    Also, take a look at the Minimum requirements section of this page - http://www.smugmug.com/help/print-quality.

If your photos are below the minimum requirements for a print size, that size won't be offered for sale (even if you've priced the size).

--- Denise
  • Options
    SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2011
    I depends on your workflow and what you want to present to your client.

If time is of the essence, upload them unaltered and set proof delay on so you can edit them as they are purchased.

If quality is the essence, do all your edits first and then upload them. No need to use proof delay in this scenario.

If time and quality is of the essence, do the critical edits and get these images uploaded. Enable proof delay and finish the edits as the orders come in.

Good luck! thumb.gif
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!