My 7d is on it's way.

JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
edited August 5, 2011 in Cameras
My 20d finally stopped working, it's been a good camera, we've been through a lot together, rain, snow, mud...you name it. It's been dropped kicked battered and bruised, and I'm sure I took more pictures with it than the shutter was "rated" for. The auto focus failed on me while out in Moab Utah, but I had my original Digital Rebel along as a back up.....man that thing is slow. :rofl

Well tonight I ordered a 7d, I debated what to get for a while, but I find I like / need the 8 fps due to all the sporting events I like to shoot.

I should have the new camera...and grip, Tuesday. I can't wait to start shooting again.

:barb
Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D

Comments

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited July 9, 2011
    Congrats! clap.gif Sorry to hear of the demise of the 20D though. :cry
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2011
    David_S85 wrote: »
    Congrats! clap.gif Sorry to hear of the demise of the 20D though. :cry

Thanks.

The 20d's passing was sad....I've had that thing for what seems like forever.
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2011
    I am glad your 20D passed away, and so will you once you put your paws on the 7D. :D

Your going from a VW bug to a Porsche.

Sam
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2011
    While the 7D is a great camera (way better than the 20D), the 20D is still very good. 8.2mp and 5fps going for $200 used today! The only downside is the tiny 1.8" screen. Anyway, enjoy the 7D; I'm sure you'll love it. The screen is a BIG step up. I've used a 20D and a 1DII, and I can say the 1DII screen is much better. I've also used the 7D, and its screen just blows the other two away.

I don't blame you; I can't stand Rebels either rolleyes1.gifDmwink.gif
    edited July 10, 2011
    Just for fun I tried the 20d today......it's focusing again. Oh well, I still have a 7d coming in two days! :ivar
  • cr8ingwavescr8ingwaves Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2011
    Congrats on the purchase! You are going to love it! My 20D developed a mysterious shutter problem that "forced" me to get the 7D before I had officially saved for it. Best thing to ever happen. I am using my 20D for my daughter to learn on now.

Have fun. so many bells and whistles to play with and adjust.
    edited July 10, 2011
    Congrats on the purchase! You are going to love it! My 20D developed a mysterious shutter problem that "forced" me to get the 7D before I had officially saved for it. Best thing to ever happen. I am using my 20D for my daughter to learn on now.

Have fun. so many bells and whistles to play with and adjust.

I spent a good deal of time reading about the bells and whistles last night....I can't wait.

The 20d is still not working 100%, it's focusing now, but it's just a bit off. I see it be set up on shelf pretty soon. :cry

I have a feeling the 7d will make me soon forget all about it. :D
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited July 11, 2011
    Jeffro wrote: »

The 20d is still not working 100%, it's focusing now, but it's just a bit off. ...

While you haven't described the AF problems on the 20D in any detail, do check the AF sensor section to see if anything might be obstructing the AF. You can get very strange AF behavior if some lint has landed on the AF section.

Use MLU or sensor clean mode and look at the bottom of the camera chamber, just below where the mirror normally resides.

Here is a block diagram:

http://a.img-dpreview.com/reviews/CanonEOS5DMarkII/Images/features/af04.gif

... and here is an image from one of my own cameras:

149200249_MdYUY-X2.jpg
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • borrowlenses.comborrowlenses.com Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2011
    Enjoy the new camera :D
    http://www.BorrowLenses.com
    Your professional online camera gear rental store

Follow us on Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/borrowlenses
    edited July 12, 2011
    Enjoy the new camera :D

Oh I will, can't wait to start shooting. I just checked on it, it's only a few miles from my house right now.....it'll be here tomorrow!!
    edited July 12, 2011
    Here it is!!

i-Pw55ZFM-X3.jpg

I've been trying it out, reading, trying it, reading.....I think that process will continue for awhile.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited July 12, 2011
    Congratulations on the new camera. clap.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited July 12, 2011
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    Congratulations on the new camera. clap.gif

Thanks, here's one of my first test shots with it.

i-gKNnzCP-X3.jpg

This is going to be fun. :D
  • Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2011

looks good but the 7D is supposed to be one of the better sports/action cameras so test out that focusing and 8 fps !
    edited July 15, 2011
    I found that my 300mm f/4L IS lens was back focusing, I did a micro adjustment of -5, and it looks pretty darn good now. clap.gif

ps....the 8fps works great, as I suspected it would. There's no way I could have lived with anything slower.
  • Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2011
    I found that my 300mm f/4L IS lens was back focusing, I did a micro adjustment of -5, and it looks pretty darn good now. clap.gif

ps....the 8fps works great, as I suspected it would. There's no way I could have lived with anything slower.

Congratulations Jeff...can't wait to see some of your work with it.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2011
    Spare battery
    IMO, it is always good to have a spare battery or two - just in case. I use Sterlingtek barreries which work just great and are considerably less expensive than the Canon OEM batteries. BTW: Some cheaper third party batteries available on ebay and elsewhere are not fully compatible with the 7D or the Canon charger. The Sterlingtek batteries are fully compatible...
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2011
    rpcrowe wrote: »
    IMO, it is always good to have a spare battery or two - just in case. I use Sterlingtek barreries which work just great and are considerably less expensive than the Canon OEM batteries. BTW: Some cheaper third party batteries available on ebay and elsewhere are not fully compatible with the 7D or the Canon charger. The Sterlingtek batteries are fully compatible...

OOOH!! Sterlingtek now have chipped 7d batteries? When I got mine they weren't on the market yet....

That said, the unchipped ones from Adorama have worked just fine for me over the last 15 months. You have to use the non-oem charger, but that charger can also charge original Canon batteries (and works fine, plus it's smaller so quite useful when travelling), so it's not such a big deal. They were WAY cheaper than the OEM ones when I bought and, since my camera was an Adorama refurb, I went with their own line of 3rd-party batteries.
  • HelenOsterHelenOster Registered Users Posts: 173 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2011
    divamum wrote: »
    .........the unchipped ones from Adorama have worked just fine for me over the last 15 months. You have to use the non-oem charger, but that charger can also charge original Canon batteries (and works fine, plus it's smaller so quite useful when travelling), so it's not such a big deal. They were WAY cheaper than the OEM ones when I bought and, since my camera was an Adorama refurb, I went with their own line of 3rd-party batteries.

That's good to hear, thanks for the feedback!
    Helen Oster
    Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
    http://twitter.com/HelenOster
    Helen@adorama.com
    www.adorama.com
  • rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2011
    Sterlingtek
    HelenOster wrote: »
    That's good to hear, thanks for the feedback!

I purchased two EP-6A Sterlingtek batteries for my 7D along with a Sterlingtek charger for $60 (USD) with free shipping because my order was over $60. Although the Sterlingtek batteries can charge just fine in the Canon OEM charger, the Sterlingtek charger can also function on a 12V auto electrical system. I have a charger with 12V capability for my BP-511A betteries and have made use of the 12V charging on a couple of instances. When I used the 12V, I really needed it.

I have not done a head to head comparison between the Sterlingtek and OEM batteries but, the Sterlingtek models seem at least equal to the OEM models.
  • MasonDixonPhotoMasonDixonPhoto Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited July 31, 2011
    Congratulations on your new camera! I did a ton of research before deciding on the 7D, and now I am saving for it as fast as I can.

For my shooting needs, and my budget, it came down to a choice between the Canon 60D, the Canon 7D and the Nikon D7000, each one having its strengths and weaknesses. I went to a local camera shop and picked each one up... and it was suddenly no contest. The 7D felt like a part of my hand, like it had been molded specifically for my grip... and it was love at first touch! So, for all of the lovely features of the other 2 cameras, for me it is the 7D, despite the higher price tag... and I hope you will enjoy yours to the fullest.

Best regards from a new member of this forum.
  • ows4428ows4428 Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited August 2, 2011
    I got the dreaded ERR99 message on my 20D and upgraded to the 7D just last month. What an amazing difference it makes. I'm sure you're in the same boat as me, congratulations.
  • cridleycridley Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited August 2, 2011

i-gKNnzCP-X3.jpg

Oh wow!! I shoot seniors....and I would KILL for this location!! I have the 7D too!! I went from two different rebels to the 7D. BIG difference!!! Enjoy!
  • keithinmelbournekeithinmelbourne Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited August 3, 2011
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    While you haven't described the AF problems on the 20D in any detail, do check the AF sensor section to see if anything might be obstructing the AF. You can get very strange AF behavior if some lint has landed on the AF section.

Use MLU or sensor clean mode and look at the bottom of the camera chamber, just below where the mirror normally resides.

Here is a block diagram:

http://a.img-dpreview.com/reviews/CanonEOS5DMarkII/Images/features/af04.gif

... and here is an image from one of my own cameras:

149200249_MdYUY-X2.jpg

Ziggy,

That's really useful info. I will remember that in future. Thanks thumb.gif
    Keith

Mumon is right! "Every day is a good day!"

http://www.keithbroadphotography.com/
  • Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2011
    rpcrowe wrote: »

I also use Sterlingtek, a good non-Canon alternative