Aftermarket grip/hot pixels

El ComatEl Comat Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
edited July 9, 2011 in Cameras
Hi everyone,

I've got a 40D with an aftermarket grip, but I'm not thrilled with the grip's quality (adequate, but not great). I've heard some folks on here talk about good aftermarket grips, but was wondering which ones are the best (especially for the 40D). I have a Canon grip on my XSi and I love it, so I know the BG-E2N would be great, but I may as well try and save a few bucks if I can.

Secondly, my 40D has what I think are two hot pixels. There seems to be 2 small red dots in almost every frame. Can an overhaul from canon fix the pixels, or am I stuck with them? How much would a canon "check up" be? It's not really a big deal, but I'm a bit anal about things working right :-).

Thanks,
Adam

PS - my wedding shoot went really well, but left me drooling for my friend's 70-200 2.8 IS, but also left me slightly angry with my 17-55 2.8 which is heading back to canon AGAIN for a check up (focus/sharpness issues). Anyone ever get canon to swap lenses for a new one when yours is under warranty?

Comments

• ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2011
    My 1DII has so many hot pixels, it's crazy. Thankfully, ACR automatically gets rid of 'em. I don't worry about them, just let ACR take care of them since I always shoot RAW and always process in ACR.

As for Canon swapping lenses, I'd say there's 0% chance of that. But getting a friend to swap lenses... that's a whole different story. Besides, if you're not happy with the 17-55, you can sell it and use the cash to buy me a 70-200 2.8 :).

But seriously, if you want a 70-200, I can wholeheartedly recommend the f4 version. Great lens, super sharp, and smaller and lighter than the 2.8 versions. Plus, it's much cheaper... $500 used/$650 new. The only thing it doesn't have is the f/2.8. Of course, you'll pay more for IS in either version...