New Infant Scene

Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
edited July 12, 2011 in People
In my never ending quest to present infants/newborns in a flattering manner, without copying other photographers and keeping it simple, I have came up with this. Custom made the background and shoot from above. Opinions please!

Comments

• TomHarmonTomHarmon Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited July 10, 2011
    I really like the idea. The lighting seems a tad flat though.
  • Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2011
    Thanks for weighing in Tom! You are right on about the flat lighting. I haven't figured out how to light it differently and still keep shadows off of the background the infant is laying on. In testing different lighting configurations, and seeing that shadows on the background really detracted from the image as it removed any illusion that the infant was suspended, I lit in pretty darn flat.

Any ideas on lighting this to achieve shape and still be shadow free would be a godsend to me!
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2011
    Why not do a composite... Take a shot with proper lighting on the infant, then take a second shot so the BG is properly lit, then combine the two in post.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2011
    Why not do a composite... Take a shot with proper lighting on the infant, then take a second shot so the BG is properly lit, then combine the two in post.

An excellent idea. I was hoping to be able to shoot and proof them on the spot, with no PP, in a somewhat volume environment to keep the price point at a reasonable level for folks on a budget.
  • mom2sagemom2sage Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited July 10, 2011
    As a mom, I think it works. Cute idea!
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2011
    I like the idea. It does look a bit flat to me too though. Also, I think it would help the depth if you did some cloning on part of the blanket where it meets the stork's bill. As is, it doesn't look like the stork is carrying the baby because both parts of the blanket are on the outside of the bill. That's my 2 cents.

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com