Options

#80 - New Shots from Hawaii

sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,944 moderator
edited July 12, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
Wondering whether you think one of these might be a better option than my "The World Without Glasses" entry. I am having some challenges getting these processed and uploaded (with exif data, currently not with the images) but feel like one of these might very well be a better option. What do you think?

These were all edited with the photoshop express app on an ipad....

1a. On a Mission (b&w edit, tighter crop)
i-qTVxpMz-L.jpg

1b. On a Mission (color edit, less cropped)
i-nK4FPTp-L.jpg

1c. On a Mission (color edit with softer focus)
i-FKNdN6P-L.jpg

2a. Inspiration (b&w)
i-S6WXvkW-L.jpg

2b. Inspiration (b&w)
i-NMkKB5g-L.jpg

3. Reflection (b&w)
i-LRsjp2P-L.jpg

All shots taken with this challenge in mind on a pier on Waikiki beach. Would appreciate your frank assessment of whether I should try to enter one of these new shots. (Please note that these files are relatively low res and don't have full exif data - including the date taken. Am hoping these files suggest the potential of the images.)

C & C welcome! Many thanks,
Gretchen

Comments

• Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2011
    I like 1b. But what I'd try with it is a crop from the top and the right so the kids and the sun are in the center of the frame. But crop it so that only a hint of that overexposed area remains.

Lucky you, you're in Hawaii! Don't you just love traveling with an iPad? :D
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2011
    Linda is right.

I would make the horizon in the middle by cropping all the big highlights in the sky, even though the kids will not be in the middle...

Enjoy your fantastic trip! :)
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    SeascapeSSeascapeS Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2011
    I love World Without Glasses, but these are wonderful too! I personally like 1c, but 1b is also a great contender!
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
    http://sandizphotos-seascapes.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2011
    These are all marvelous! I like #1b and #2b. The contrast and color are really appealing. I also like your B&W conversions.
  • Options
    edited July 11, 2011
    Thank you all for your input on these! I am having some trouble with internet access and/or preserving exif data but will enter 1b if I can pull it together in time. As is, it breaks the rule about having space for the subjects to move into, and I feel like this worked well here, conveying the progress the boys were making on the rocks beside the pier. Another broken rule is shooting into the sun. This will be less pronounced if I crop enough from the top to put the horizon smack in the middle, but will then break the horizon rule as well (and because of the strip of additional interest in the lower part of the frame with the silhouette of rocks and the boys), may do this with a bit more impunity than would otherwise be the case. I could crop from the right as well (as Linda suggested), centering the boys and sun (vertically) in the frame but there are advantages and disadvantages to this....

It is lovely to be in Hawaii, and it is even better to be here with good friends! Linda, it is my first time traveling with an iPad, so I'm still getting the hang of it, but enjoying (almost) every minute of the learning curve. Played with the Snapseed and Photopad apps last night.

Thanks again for the helpful input!

Gretchen
  • Options
    dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2011
    Gretchen, I love these silhouettes! To me, #1 is wonderful. I have to agree with Linda on the cropping idea though. Great photos anyway!
  • Options
    billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2011
    I'm gonna wade against the tide. Your current entry is unique. These are lovely with several good options. But... my theme for tonight is, stay with the first choice.
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2011
    billseye wrote: »
    I'm gonna wade against the tide. Your current entry is unique. These are lovely with several good options. But... my theme for tonight is, stay with the first choice.

thumb.gif
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2011
    As it happens, I stuck with my original entry. This is partly because the iPad apps stripped the exif data and partly because there was strong affirmation for the World Without Glasses. I do love the silhouettes and appreciate the affirmation of those shots.

Hoping I will find a way to attach exif data to a photo for the next challenge despite using using an iPad to process raw images. We'll see....

Thanks again for the input everyone! And Bill, thank you for taking the time to give last minute advice!
  • Options
    SilasPhotoGroupSilasPhotoGroup Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited July 12, 2011
    These are some really great shots.