Options

Blemish on photos.

macolganmacolgan Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
edited July 22, 2011 in Finishing School
[IMG][/img]DSC0313-L.jpg

I've recently noticed a small circular blemish is appearing on all my photos. It is always near top-centre but can only really be seen if that area is bright sky or white cloud etc.

I've checked that it's not the lens's so must be the camera. I've checked the bypass filter following nikons instructions but can't see anything on this that would explain the "blob" which is a dull grey and around 4-5mm on my mac's full screen display - 23".

Can anyone shed any light on the subject ?

Regards........ macolgan.

Comments

• Options
    basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2011
    its dust
    use an Arctic Butterfly Brush to clean your sensor
    http://www.visibledust.com/products3.php?pid=3

if that dont help , use Swaps
    http://www.sensorswab.com/swabproduct.htm
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited July 10, 2011
    If you only have one dust bunny, you might ignore it, and just clone it out while editing your images.

Dust bunnies are much less apparent at wider apertures, and are more noticeable at f8 and smaller apertures. ( f11, f16, f22, etc )
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2011
    I'd get rid of it, personally.

Before using a brush, I would use a blower (not canned air). if that does not work, use a static brush. You can get a good static brush and a rocket blower together from Copper Hill for about 1/4 of the price of an Arctic Butterfly. If those two steps don't work, the last step is a wet cleaning. I rarely get that far--the first two steps usually do it.
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2011
    Did you try your in-menu cleaning first?
    tom wise
  • Options
    TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2011
    Dust on the sensor. Usually spottable when the photograph includes
    sky where the spot is. Yours is clearly visible.

A blower (Giotto Rocket recommended) is available from any camera
    store. Instructions for removing dust should be in your camera's
    manual. You have to follow the camera's procedure to do this.

I would strongly discourage using a brush or swabs. If it gets to
    that point, having the sensor professionally cleaned is recommended.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    jjbongjjbong Registered Users Posts: 244 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2011
    TonyCooper wrote: »
    I would strongly discourage using a brush or swabs. If it gets to
    that point, having the sensor professionally cleaned is recommended.

That used to be my opinion, as I was worried about damaging the sensor.

Then I watched a Scott Kelby Training class on sensor cleaning by Laurie Excell,
    and I changed my mind. She has a very methodical approach, starting with using
    the built-in sensor cleaning, then the air blower, then the Actic butterfly, then
    swabs, stopping when the dust is gone. Key to this is a loupe, so you can actually
    see the dust (and know where to blow). She also points out that you're not cleaning
    the sensor, but rather the filter in front of it. Rightly or wrongly, that put my
    mind at rest.

She says she cleans after every shoot, by the way.

It's been maybe 9 months since I watched that, and I clean after every shoot where
    I change lenses. Almost every time I change lenses, I end up with some amount of
    dust, despite being careful about shielding my camera from the wind.

There's a bit of investment in getting all of the stuff to do the cleaning, but where I
    live, it's $60 a pop for a sensor cleaning at a camera shop.

Also, I've noticed that I rarely have to go beyond using the blower, and almost never
    have to use the swab. I was in Turkey for a month, and never had to go beyond the
    blower. Clearly, this will vary depending on where you're shooting. But based on my
    experience, you might be able to get by with a loupe and a blower.
    John Bongiovanni
  • Options
    edited July 11, 2011
    Thanks everyone.... it was indeed a dust spec ! So small I could only see it using a loupe, as advised, and held below strong light.

It took three separate attempts though to dislodge the little blighter. Test photos this morning confirm it gone.

I will have to maintain " due diligence " from now on. Oh... and invest in some of the professional gear recommended.

Regards to all once again..... macolgan.
  • Options
    aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2011
    FWIW, I've also discovered that an easy way to check for sensor dust is to set the camera to a small f-stop and long exposure, at least 1/4 second. Then, focus on a blank, white (or nearso) surface, like a wall or ceiling. During the exposure, move the camera slightly; focus isn't realy critical. Any dust will show up as a distinct black dot on the image. I'm not sure if this is exactly what's happening, but it appears to me that during a still image, the processor tries to blend the dust into the background. But when the image is moving, the dust stays static relative to the image/sensor, and become much more pronounced in the final image.
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited July 11, 2011
    aj986s wrote: »
    FWIW, I've also discovered that an easy way to check for sensor dust is to set the camera to a small f-stop and long exposure, at least 1/4 second. Then, focus on a blank, white (or nearso) surface, like a wall or ceiling. During the exposure, move the camera slightly; focus isn't realy critical. Any dust will show up as a distinct black dot on the image. I'm not sure if this is exactly what's happening, but it appears to me that during a still image, the processor tries to blend the dust into the background. But when the image is moving, the dust stays static relative to the image/sensor, and become much more pronounced in the final image.

Hi and thanks for the above. I just set a blank webpage on my mac and carried out the procedure you describe.
    The page actually wasn't that "white" but by setting the exposure sliders around, I could get the screen to be really bright, and hence show up any " defects " that might be there. Zooming right in on the screen and moving the "photo " about, let me study in very close detail.
    Thankfully, nothing showing from the camera, but this does show up some faint marks and blemishes on my mac's screen :D . Not on the surface that is, but then the mac is around 5 yrs old now. Wont waste my normal viewing I'm sure !

Regards.... macolgan.
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2011
    Just a quick note: I highly recommend buying a sensor loupe. You can see the dust specks quickly and easily. The loupe adds speed and ease to the sensor cleaning process.

You will not be sorry you purchased one.

Sam
  • Options
    jjbongjjbong Registered Users Posts: 244 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2011
    One other thing. I have a Canon 5D Mk II, and I don't know whether this applies to others.

The camera cleans the sensor when it is powered off (or, at least, there's an option to do that). You can also tell it to
    clean manually when it's powered on. When you do that, it makes a lot more noise and takes longer than the automatic
    cleaning on poweroff. I concluded that the cleaning was more aggressive.

Since then, I clean the sensor manually after I change lenses. I've noticed much fewer dust problems since.
    John Bongiovanni
  • Options
    aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2011
    macolgan wrote: »
    Hi and thanks for the above. I just set a blank webpage on my mac and carried out the procedure you describe.
    The page actually wasn't that "white" but by setting the exposure sliders around, I could get the screen to be really bright, and hence show up any " defects " that might be there. Zooming right in on the screen and moving the "photo " about, let me study in very close detail.
    Thankfully, nothing showing from the camera, but this does show up some faint marks and blemishes on my mac's screen :D . Not on the surface that is, but then the mac is around 5 yrs old now. Wont waste my normal viewing I'm sure !

Regards.... macolgan.

I re-read your post and wondered if you were only looking through the viewfinder, versus actually snapping a picture. I've found that you need to take a picture in order to see the dust in the final digital image.
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com