3 Bugs in One

Paul IddonPaul Iddon Registered Users Posts: 5,129 Major grins
edited July 11, 2011 in Holy Macro
So a photo of taken this afternoon, containing 3 bugs in 1, but I can only identify two of them.

Obviously, the one toward the back is an aphid, no problem there, and the biggest one - and it's only a maximum of 5mm in length - is the Heterotoma merioptera - the sole UK Heterotoma species that is recognised by both scientific synonyms whereas two mainland European species are discretely identified. This small member of the Miridae (Capsid) family is quite common in southern England, though is more widespread, including, of course, Preston! It is to be found on a wide range of vegetation and feeds on aphids, other small insects and also flower buds and unripe fruits.

When viewed directly from above, it appears to have conventional thin antennae but, a side view reveals the broad paddle-like second segment which readily identifies it.

A second feature is that it appears to glide over green vegetation as its green legs merge into the background.

Having done the easy bit, I very much doubt that I will ever be able to identify the third insect, on the right hand side. It's almost devilish in appearance, and to be truthful, I had no idea it was there until the editing stage!

C&C as always appreciated.

Exif:

Camera Maker: Canon
Camera Model: Canon EOS 550D
Lens: 105mm
Image Date: 2011-07-10 14:55:55 +0000
Focal Length: 105mm
Aperture: f/9.5
Exposure Time: 0.0056 s (1/180)
ISO equiv: 100
Exposure Bias: none
Metering Mode: Matrix
Exposure: Manual
Exposure Mode: Manual
White Balance: Auto
Flash Fired: Yes (Auto, return light detected)
Orientation: Normal
Color Space: Adobe RGB (1998)
GPS Coordinate: undefined, undefined
Photographer: Paul Iddon
Copyright: A View of the UK - Paul Iddon Photography

800Heterotoma_merioptera.jpg

Paul.

Link to my personal website: http://www.pauliddon.co.uk

Comments