Options

lens problem?

HarveyMushmanHarveyMushman Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
edited October 10, 2005 in Cameras
Several times lately I've experienced a curious problem with my Nikkor 50/1.8 lens on my Nikon D70. Shooting in P-Auto or A-priority the resultant pics are severely blown out, way overexsposed. Depending on the light, it can take an exposure compensation of 2 or 3 full stops to get a correct exposure. This lens didn't always behave this way, and the 18 - 70 zoom that came with the camera doesn't misbehave. Any ideas?
Tim

Comments

• Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2005
    Several times lately I've experienced a curious problem with my Nikkor 50/1.8 lens on my Nikon D70. Shooting in P-Auto or A-priority the resultant pics are severely blown out, way overexsposed. Depending on the light, it can take an exposure compensation of 2 or 3 full stops to get a correct exposure. This lens didn't always behave this way, and the 18 - 70 zoom that came with the camera doesn't misbehave. Any ideas?
    Hi Harvey,

It could be a problem with the lens. Its not communicating accurately with the camera. Since you are not having the same problem with other lenses I would say the 50/1.8 is the problem. I would try wiping the lens' connectors with a clean cloth. They might be dirty and that might be causing the problem.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    zigzagzigzag Registered Users Posts: 196 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2005
    I don't have any ideas, but I can report that I have the same combination of equipment and it works without this problem.

Edit: mine is the the 1.8D
  • Options
    HarveyMushmanHarveyMushman Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2005
    zigzag wrote:
    I don't have any ideas, but I can report that I have the same combination of equipment and it works without this problem.

Edit: mine is the the 1.8D
    I doubt the D makes much of a difference in this case.

I'll clean the contacts and hope for the best.
    Tim
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2005
    The lens is set to f/22 or 16? Sorry had to ask.

Does it work fine in manual?

I worked with a guy who had a Nikon lens that the aperture spring (?) was weak and it was very slow to open the iris, if it did at all. If you flip the little lever at the back of the lens it should react quickly, if not have it serviced or buy Canon. deal.gifrolleyes1.gif