Options

Finding your target client base

kathiemtkathiemt Registered Users Posts: 226 Major grins
edited July 11, 2011 in Mind Your Own Business
I'm finding this a rather interesting challenge. I've been in business for over 17 years, as a Virtual Assistant. Over the past couple of years a hobby became a passion and now I'm looking to do something more with it.

My husband and I shifted to a popular tourist area nearly 2 years ago and my camera has been working overtime ever since. I have a website, blog and just set up smugmug as well. I've won a photography competition locally, had media interest, got invited to hold an exhibition (which was in May), sold a few prints and had someone engage me to come do a specific photo of birds in his backyard. I've done one wedding, although I have no hankering for doing that and done newborn twins too, although again, not what I hanker after.

I enjoy the nature photography. My challenge is where to find my audience and get their attention? The majority of people who have 'liked' my Facebook page are either family/friends, or fellow photographers. And the majority of people following my photography blog are currently family and friends.

So, what is my next step? Possibly finding local publications to write for and submit photos? Writing isn't a problem for me so I could do that. I want to capture the attention of tourists so suspect I might have to be hanging my photos up in lots of places perhaps - a costly exercise once you add up the cost of printing and framing.

Comments

• Options
    Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2011
    kathiemt wrote: »
    I enjoy the nature photography.

It seems that most photographers want to be involved with nature photography. So you are jumping into a rather large pool of competitors with very few clients.

I understand the logic, nature is easier to deal with than people.
    kathiemt wrote: »
    My challenge is where to find my audience and get their attention?

As with any type of photography, you want to begin by finding other businesses who are already dealing with your client base (not photographers).

If you are dealing with flowers, you want to make contact with florists, nurseries, and such. If you are shooting birds and bugs, contact the universities and museums and so on.

No matter what you shoot, there is some business or group who is already involved in that subject matter. Non profit companies are a huge resource if you can get involved. These groups are great at gathering groups of people.

Find a way to work with the business and groups who are already dealing with your client base. This will grow your business list by leaps and bounds.

Publications are nice, but once again you are dealing with a lot of others who are trying this same approach.

Hanging work in areas where people hang out is very effective, but it is expensive. You need to hang a lot of work to makes sales.
    Steve

Website
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2011
    The work you have posted looks like you have decent quality photos, but not many of them.

At this point my suggestion is to do your best to get out and build a portfolio of awesome images, as you continue to work on improving the quality of the images.
    Once you have done that you have something to advertise, market and sell.

As mentioned the web has some awesome photographers you would be competing against. If you stick with local subjects and market locally that is your best bet.
  • Options
    kathiemtkathiemt Registered Users Posts: 226 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2011
    Thanks Steve and Zoomer. I only set up the site on the weekend so it's very new and I do have a lot more photos. Gradually adding some each night now after work. I'm thinking perhaps I'll contact some travel agencies - I have a few contacts in that field, and then find their resources too. I do have prints on display at the moment in one of the small towns in this region and that came about because of an exhibition I had just up the road at a cafe. I sold some photos from that display.

Re the comment about nature being easier to deal with than people. I just don't feel I take good people shots (family yes, others no). I don't really have the passion for it. Nature is different and I'm surrounded by it daily because of where I live. So it is a passion.

I'll keep looking for ideas. I updated my bio on my site last night (my time) so it's more targeted to visitors/tourists now and sent an email out to two groups of people I know who would love to visit Australia to get their feedback as well.