Options

Doesn't do anything for me

dbaker1221dbaker1221 Registered Users Posts: 4,482 Major grins
edited July 12, 2011 in Sports
I've seen a shot or two oon here of a pitcher with the ball in focus and everything else out of focus. Alot of people raved about it. I landed one this weekend but I've gotta say, in my mind it's just a missed shot :D
i-SPCCZjn-X3.jpg
**If I keep shooting, I'm bound to hit something**
Dave

Comments

• Options
    JSPhotographyJSPhotography Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2011
    I saw those threads also and I think I agree with you. I tried something similar but different. At a Tee ball game I shot the ball on the tee with the third baseman crouched down in position behind. That let me do both ball focus/player not and ball soft/player focused and compare. Everybody much prefered the player in focus. Like I said not the same but a way to have both to compare. I'm sticking with the pitcher in focus and the ball soft for this shot.
  • Options
    donekdonek Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2011
    You've sort of missed it here I think. Your framing makes it look like you were trying to get the pitcher, but got the ball instead. You want to frame the shot so it has the pitcher and batter in the frame and ball is in focus. Or you could try to get more separation between the pitcher and the ball. Throw the pitcher way out of focus and get the ball when it's farther away from her and shes not directly behind it. In reality it's not likely to be a shot that sells, but is more a test of skill and what you can do.
    Sean Martin
    www.seanmartinphoto.com

aaaaa.... who am I kidding!

whoever dies with the biggest coolest piece of glass, wins!
  • Options
    jheftijhefti Registered Users Posts: 734 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2011
    Might try a tighter crop that highlights the ball, and defocus the pitcher a little more. Depending on how much room you have on the crop, you might get the ball to fill up enough of the frame to feature it. I think it's a good idea which can be improved with a little work.

In any case, really nice timing and capture. It can't be easy keeping the AF point on the ball!
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2011
    I like the shot, you don't want 20 like this but as a change of pace it works. Sometimes accidents turn out ok.
  • Options
    dbaker1221dbaker1221 Registered Users Posts: 4,482 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2011
    HAhaha.....Thanks all.....Like I said the shot doesn't do anything for me . The focus jumped when she let go of the ball. I only put it on here because I remember the baseball photo that was on here awhile ago. I do like the idea of cropping it tight & blurring it more outside the ball, otherwise it's just a trash can shot to me.
    **If I keep shooting, I'm bound to hit something**
    Dave