focus...

plumchutneyplumchutney Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
edited August 8, 2011 in Mind Your Own Business
...excuse the pun ;)

I have been a happy smugmug 'power' user for years and am thinking about upgrading to a 'pro' account. My question is, looking at my current site, what would you do with it? It clearly needs focus, it has just evolved as time has gone by and now has the inevitable spread of styles/themes you might expect. But if I am going to sell images off of it what styles/themes do I focus on...?

What would sell landscapes, people, food? Are downloads or prints a better idea, or a bit of both?

Or is upgrading the website not the best sales channel?

Or am I delusional about photography and should forget all about it/improve?!

oh dear, that turned out a bit Life, Universe and Everything - sorry - appreciate any advice that is out there :)

Pete
http://www.plumchutney.net/
Pete
==================
www.plumchutney.net
==================

Comments

• Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2011
    I noticed a few things when viewing your site.

Under galleries, you have a random grouping of image categories that don't seem to go together. Are they for sale or personal viewing? Some really look like family shots versus something that is for sale to the general public.

Locked galleries shouldn't be mixed in with open galleries. Your breadcrumb trail doesn't take you to the same place. If you begin with galleries, then click on collections, the breadcrumb takes you back to photography.

If you are selling, you really should consider not allowing viewers to share the image versus a link, and you will want to add a watermark.

As to whether or not sell prints or downloads, you need to determine who your potential clients will be. Personally we sell downloads 60 to 1 over prints.
    Steve

Website
  • plumchutneyplumchutney Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited July 12, 2011
    Many thanks Steve - good advice, much appreciated :)
    Pete
    Pete
    ==================
    www.plumchutney.net
    ==================
  • Mark DickinsonMark Dickinson Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2011
    Pictures of people will sell more than of landscapes unless they are amazing.

Highpricethen give coupons! People love sales
  • plumchutneyplumchutney Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited August 8, 2011
    Pictures of people will sell more than of landscapes unless they are amazing.

Highpricethen give coupons! People love sales

Like it - Thanks Mark :)
    Pete
    ==================
    www.plumchutney.net
    ==================