What are they smoking?

Wicked_DarkWicked_Dark Registered Users Posts: 1,138 Major grins
edited July 13, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
I've been fascinated by indian pipes for a long time and have tried to photograph them in the past, but I've never done well. They are a sapophytic plant which means they do not contain chlorophyl and thus do not use photosynthesis to produce energy, instead absorbing it all through the roots. The result is this pale, ghostly beauty that is blooming all over these days. When they first sprout, they are bent like the pipes they're named after, when they mature they straighten out and in fall they become dry and brittle.

Brain-Salad-XL.jpg

Transactional-L.jpg

5138957745_2a914babf6_z.jpg

763394979_NvA2U-XL.jpg

I'm thinking of going back to see what else I can do with them...sort of a mini-project. How do you think a study of new flowers with the old dried ones would look? I spotted some sort of near each other, but not close enough for what I want to do. Just need to keep looking.

Comments

• DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2011
    Nice images in this set. Interesting plant! Are all the pictures of the same plant type? Seems you've done a lot of looking already. No doubt with that kind of effort continued you will come across just the shots your looking for with this project idea you have in mind. I was just looking for time line / event images set in multiple frames together or single frames with multiple openings in the matting or framing itself. Ran across a name for method of displaying the other day but I frustratingly can't find the name. I give up looking for it on googlerolleyes1.gifErrrrr
    Michael
  • Wicked_DarkWicked_Dark Registered Users Posts: 1,138 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2011
    thanks for the ideas...yeah some kind of multi frame approach would work. triptych or quadtych?? ; )

and yes, these are all the same flower, but in the stages I described. I love seeing them poke up through snow. Ah...if I could find some this year with just a dusting on the flowers themselves...that would be sweet.
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited July 13, 2011
    I grew up in Mass, and the images of the Indian Pipes sure bring back some memories. Great shots. nod.gif
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2011
    thanks for the ideas...yeah some kind of multi frame approach would work. triptych or quadtych?? ; )

and yes, these are all the same flower, but in the stages I described. I love seeing them poke up through snow. Ah...if I could find some this year with just a dusting on the flowers themselves...that would be sweet.
    Triptych. Thats it wings.gif Thank you. Couldn't remember it for nothing. rolleyes1.gif
    I can see where just a dusting would be sweet. The one you've got will do nicely till you find just the right one.
    Am sure good fortune will be on your side. It has been already.
    Michael
  • Wicked_DarkWicked_Dark Registered Users Posts: 1,138 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2011
    glad to be of help daddyO!