The Old Boy Just Won't Go Down

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
edited July 15, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
Some of you may remember, from prior posts of mine, the saga of " Henry ". That's the name I stuck on this barn....born out of familiarity from passing by him over the 25 years I had a place not far from him. For ages gone by, Henry was a stalwart in the valley community.....standing tall and proud as a beacon of strength. He weathered record snowfalls, brutal cold winds, rains of epic proportions, and hail the size of golf balls.

Then the inevitable ravages of time and exposure began to take their toll. Still tall, proud, and useful, some of Henry's spunk began to slip away. He entered the Assisted Living stage of his life. A few more harsh Winters really hit Henry hard and he was ushered into the full-blown Nursing Home stage.....eager to perform at past levels but just not up to the tasks. Then last Winter's really wicked ice storms left no options....it was Hospice time for Henry.

On my recent visit to the area, I fully expected to find Henry gone. But, low and behold, there he stood. The old farmer that owns Henry said he had considered razing the site. But, out of respect for an old friend that wasn't ready to go, he said he would, instead, let Henry tell him when he was finally ready to move on.

mountains7-8-2011-011-X2.jpg

mountains7-8-2011-002-X2.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2011
    If it weren't for the staff, I'd probably still be reading at this. They been by, I think round about 7 times, nudging me awake. Hell, now I need help to get up and go hit the porcelain again. And not with my head this time headscratch.gif Hopefully :D
    Michael
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2011
    DaddyO wrote: »
    If it weren't for the staff, I'd probably still be reading at this. They been by, I think round about 7 times, nudging me awake. Hell, now I need help to get up and go hit the porcelain again. And not with my head this time headscratch.gif Hopefully :D

Darn a bunch of people that won't let you sleep. I tell you, Michael, it just ain't right.

Take care buddy,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2011
    I like um Tom.......clap.gifgary
    edited July 14, 2011
    Azzaro wrote: »
    I like um Tom.......clap.gifgary

Thank you much, Gary.

Got any news yet about stock agency opportunities for your work?

Tom
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2011
    Tom, I do recall this barn from previous posts--I am glad to know that Henry is still there and has some dignity left. Maybe the farmer would let you have a board or two for an accent piece in your next house. :D

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
    edited July 14, 2011
    redleash wrote: »
    Tom, I do recall this barn from previous posts--I am glad to know that Henry is still there and has some dignity left. Maybe the farmer would let you have a board or two for an accent piece in your next house. :D

Lauren

Hi Lauren,

The farmer has, in fact, promised me that swinging panel just above the blue tractor....the one with the yellow sign in the window. In case you can't read it, the sign says " eat more possum ". I'm planning a small barn / workshop at my new place up there and that panel is going to occupy a place of prominence.....the spirit of Henry will live on.

Tom
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2011
    Well done!
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com