A Babe in the Woods (not literally)

schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
edited July 18, 2011 in Landscapes
Just one image but one I'm very fond of at this time. Sweet light pouring in over San Francisco Bay.

i-VCrdgFQ-XL.jpg

This was shot with my new-to-me medium format film camera and it was just one shot. Of course I scanned the negative in and did some very minor adjustments like straightening and setting the WB, but overall that was it. The soft, natural colors and great dynamic range was all done in-camera, but only after weeks of fighting it and realizing that you just have to let go and let it do its thing.

Shooting this in digital would have meant bracketing and blending two exposures, or (more likely) adjusting the curves to bump shadow detail and darken the sky.

I'm not saying that one format is better than the other, but it is different. And it sure makes me realize how much knowledge I've acquired through the years on Digital Grin and shooting alongside people like Marc and Andy, and how I take that knowledge for granted every time I pick up my 5D. I am literally starting all over by going back to film, and it's humbling.

Thanks all, and I hope that others here have similar journeys to share. :thumb

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2011
    Top of the tower, Schmoo? You lugged it all the way up there? :D
  • chickendropchickendrop Registered Users Posts: 175 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2011
    That is gorgeous! Gotta love film! It almost has a painterly look to it.
  • Mathieu05Mathieu05 Registered Users Posts: 203 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2011
    Amen to that Schmoo. i do feel like i'm beginning to enjoy my MF over my 5D2 but i do love them both :) Just like loving my two kids equally. Film is really good when talking about wide dynamic range.
    Chris Odchigue | Photography

“There is only you and your camera. The limitations in your photography are in yourself, for what we see is what we are.”
  • stirinthesaucestirinthesauce Registered Users Posts: 293 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2011
    lovely photo and I relate to the humbling experience and starting anew with film. I have done the same myself in the past year and recently getting more involved with my medium format film camera. If you don't mind, what mf camera setup are you using?

-Jon
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2011
    While waiting for the literally version...

This looks good to me! I'm glad you're enjoying your new (to you) camera. The limitations with *digital* cameras continually frustrate me, there's absolutely no way I could do film without losing patience and whatever remaining hair I'm fortunate to have.
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2011
    You are one of many who have found themselve attracted to the purity of Film. Love the dynamic range you have captured. this is a cool perspective of the Bay bridge, it looks like you can almost jump down onto it. Or is this the Richmond Bridge, I should know this answer......
  • BrucheBruche Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited July 17, 2011
    I think it's simply beautiful...

R/
    Bruce
  • Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2011
    Love itdeal.gif
    Let me know if you would like to buy one of my "closeted" 4x5s :D
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2011
    lovely photo and I relate to the humbling experience and starting anew with film. I have done the same myself in the past year and recently getting more involved with my medium format film camera. If you don't mind, what mf camera setup are you using?

-Jon

Thanks, all, and just be sure to shoot whatever floats your boat.

Jon, I'm currently using a Rolleiflex TLR, not typically what one thinks of as a landscape camera, I'm sure. (And for this shot, stuck the bottom lens through a space in the chain link fence while a cop made sure that was the only thing I did.) But I'm planning on breaking it in for portraits later this season, and if I'm feeling lucky, maybe taking it for a spin on the SF streets with a little Tmax 400.

I'm curious to know what you're shooting with!

Marc, I'm sure that Trav (and several other Dgrinners who shall remain unnamed) would give me hell if I got yet another camera, but my ears are always perked for new toys. :D