Newbie Here... :) Critique welcome!

ashleyaleeseashleyaleese Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
edited July 23, 2011 in People
Hi, I've been working at this for about a year part time. Let me know your thoughts. Just a few of my shots from this summer. :)

1. _DSC6633.jpg

2. tomara2.jpg

3. karissa2.jpg

Comments

• QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2011
    1) the color and processing are very nice, the pose is VERY awkward. she looks uncomfortable and the angle may not have been the most flattering

2) I am neutral on this one.

3) the pose and smile are very nice in this shot as well as overall tonality. you need to shoot this kind of shot wider though to keep all her body parts. Also it is tilted to the left and I vignette is a bit strong
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • ashleyaleeseashleyaleese Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited July 14, 2011
    Hey Thanks! Still learning things, and I appreciate your insight. :) I'll keep it in mind for sure!
  • TenThirteenTenThirteen Registered Users Posts: 488 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2011
    I love #2!

The pose in #1 she does look uncomfortable, but she probably WAS since she looks incredibly pregnant! lol

#3 is cute, but like Qarik said, it would be better without such a tight crop.

All in all, very pleasant, good job! :-)
    Canon Fan
  • Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2011
    Newbie, huh? I'd say you're well on your way. Nice job overall!
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2011
    I really like #2 as well (sorry Qarik :tiptoe)....
    edited July 16, 2011
    Thanks everyone. Still growing, and there is so much of the technical stuff I am still learning so I appreciate the helpful tips!
  • kathiemtkathiemt Registered Users Posts: 226 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2011
    I really like #3. I don't do people shots much (except family & friends) so I appreciate there's work involved that I don't do. I think you're doing well.
  • chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 772 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2011
    I am viewing this on my IPAD and it all looks overexposed. Now I do not plan to calibrate my iPad to look at your photos and nor does anyone else - it is not possible even.
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2011
    You are on the right track. These are all good shots, 2 is my favorite.
    Don't be shy...post more...your work is solid.
    edited July 17, 2011
    a few more...
    Thanks for the help everyone. A few more If you feel like commenting....

1.DSC_6659.jpg

2.DSC_6716.jpg

3.DSC_6738.jpg
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2011
    I'm gonna go against the grain here :)

Love #1 ... agree on the slightly unflattering angle, but I love the processing and I think it's a nice photo overall
    #2 is pretty cool, I'd definitely give her a choice of processing though
    #3. Oh .. I'd stay sooo far way from the slightly desaturated look! Don't understand why gray skin would look nice to anybody (hmmmm .. kinda reminds me of dead people). Don't get me wrong, I like the photo, but really dislike the processing + it will look "old" in a few years (same counts for the last few photos) ... my 2 cents :D + I'd slim her arm a bit in #3 .. or just watch that your model / client doesn't push down her arm quite as much ...
  • ScootersbabygirlScootersbabygirl Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2011
    I'm going to say that the processing is uniquely you, which is a good thing. The only thing that's bugging me is your watermark - it's too big for me! Sorry, I just prefer smaller watermarks that are more out of the way so that I can focus on the beautiful image!
    edited July 18, 2011
    Thanks...

In photo 1, she was incredibly uncomfortable. In every photo actually. If anyone has any tips on how to make those uncomfortable shots look a little more natural, I am all ears. I like the processing too. The photo just pops to me.

Photo 2, I was playing with Photoshop and the model and I came up with this... Its not my typical editing style, but she liked it.

And 3, That makes sense. I'll be careful of those things! Thank you! ;)
  • ScootersbabygirlScootersbabygirl Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2011
    How to make uncomfortable shots look better? I've found that it's all about getting the subject comfortable. For instance with a mom-to-be I'd talk a lot about when she found out she was pregnant, how it felt when the baby first kicked, what names she's been looking at, ect. This gets her mind into that frame of mind and you tend to see it reflected in the pics a bit more.
  • briandelionbriandelion Registered Users Posts: 512 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2011
    I like these a lot, especially #2 in the first set and #'s 1 & 3 in the second set. I also agree about being careful with desaturation. I prefer to go one way or the other.

But...I have one overall nitpick which no one has yet mentioned. I may be way off base here but here's what I see. The face of the girl in all 3 looks overly "healed" and smoothed to the point of appearing mask like. In #2 I see what looks like freckles on her shoulders and neck which dissapear entirely on her face. In #1 second set the boys face looks normal but the girl's looks like marble and unnatural especially where it meets the hair.

That being said, everyone has their own taste. I'm not opposed to retouching but believe that a little goes a long way and is ultimately more natural and flattering when applied with restraint.
    "Photography is not about the thing photographed.
    It is about how that thing looks photographed." Garry Winogrand

Avatar credit: photograph by Duane Michals- picture of me, 'Smash Palace' album
  • tropicotropico Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2011
    Lovely shots, I really like them.
    I think you have done a good job!

But I will have to agree with briandelion, her face in #3 does not look natural. Looks like it has been edited a little too much maybe?
    http://www.monicagarrett.com

Canon 5D MARK II, Canon EOS 450D
    Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L, Canon 18-55mm
    Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon 75-300mm, Tokina 10-24mm, Sigma 18-200mm
  • CCoopCCoop Registered Users Posts: 511 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2011
    Very pleasing, all. Be happy for your nice captures. And strive for more/better. I enjoyed them all!
    edited July 23, 2011
    Thanks so much!

About the face looking oversmoothed... I did not retouch a single thing on her face. I don't know if it appears that way because of the lighiting?Or if the camera was not as focused? But I can say that she has amazing skin to begin with. Is there a reason this may have happened? I did use my old camera at that session which was not as good as the one I have now and the new lenses I have. I have been recently shooting with a 50mm 1.4 and the detail is so much better.
    edited July 23, 2011
    Oh and I beleive in #2, the freckles do not stand out as much because she wears foundation. The only healing I did on her were on some wrinkles by the eyes and mouth which she requested.
  • briandelionbriandelion Registered Users Posts: 512 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2011
    My mistake. I still do like them! nod.gif
    "Photography is not about the thing photographed.
    It is about how that thing looks photographed." Garry Winogrand

Avatar credit: photograph by Duane Michals- picture of me, 'Smash Palace' album