Options

Camera Bag Advice for trip to Australia

2»

Comments

• Options
    KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2011
    Huge fan of the crumpler bags. I'm headed to Africa next year and plan to take the Karachi Outpost backpack. It's sleek, doesn't look like a camera bag, and can't be opened by anyone while it's on you; you have to take it off to access the zipper.
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • Options
    20DNoob20DNoob Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2011
    I know it's to late now but I recently went through the same ordeal trying to sort out a travel kit bag and wound up grabbing the Incase Dslr Sling Pack.

I wish I had found this bag sooner, it's awesome. It's currently loaded with my,

5D2 w/charger
    580EX w/spare batteries
    17-40L
    135L
    C/Y 1,7 50mm
    Bessa R3A
    Voigtlander 50 1.1
    Spare roll of film
    Spare CF card
    Micro fiber cloth
    Three extra filters
    Step up ring

And my Kindle with Amazon Kindle leather cover fits in the outer pocket.

Have a blast on your trip.
    Christian.

5D2/1D MkII N/40D and a couple bits of glass.
  • Options
    SequoiaSequoia Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited August 7, 2011
    The backpack thing has been an odd quest for me. A lot of people do not speak well of the Canon backpack.

Canon Camera Backpack

But it's compartments and pouches seem to be better than almost any bag I've looked at up to $200. In winter, I wear my down vest, but sometimes want to take it off. The Canon pack has the elastic and cloth strap that I can wad the big vest into. That's a huge advantage. About $40

The 3rd outer compartment holds my Garmin GPS and an aluminum water bottle, placing one compartment between it and the main one where I keep my camera. The bottle never leaks though. The backpack could easily hold one of the smallest laptops or a kindle.

It's holding my Canon T2i, Tokina 12-24mm, Canon 24-105mm, Canon 50mm, Canon 18-55mm, Canon 70-30mm, Extension tube set, 480 EX Flash, Cleaning kit, Water Bottle, GPS, Wireless Remote, 4 extra batteries, battery grip, and Polarizers.

I've also bushwhacked though dense Pacific Northwest forests all year with this back with no sign of stitch separation. It's going through 8 times what the bag would see in the city.

Would love to have Lowepro, but they don't hold as much and are greatly more expensive. And heavier to begin with . There is one backpack I will likely buy next year. Forget the brand. But it's got a light frame and places a mesh against the back allowing an air gap between backpack and the back. That would be better for perspiration if I need to hike hours with it. It was about $300

The photo below is a slightly different assorment. I still carry my extra Canon SX10 in the pack presently. The laser rangefinder goes on my belt.