Options

Selling photos of other peoples artwork.

OhEddieOhEddie Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
edited July 16, 2011 in Mind Your Own Business
I know a person that is selling photos they took of someones artwork. I think she considers it "found" art since it is in a cemetery.

I know this person and would like to know of a nice way to tell them this is definitely ethically, and most likely legally, a No-No.

Here is a link to the site...
http://www.etsy.com/listing/77825642/mary-all-seeing

Thanks for your help

Eddie
Blessed are those who remain flexible, for they shall not get bent out of shape.

Comments

• Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited July 15, 2011
    well....

a) I don't think there's anything she's done wrong and
    b) I don't think there will be much threat of any sales rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2011
    I'm with Angelo here.

Sam
  • Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2011
    I'd suggest the situation is likely to resolve itself ...

... although, having said that - and remembering some of the stuff I used to see (selling) on street markets in London - who knows?

pp
  • Options
    OhEddieOhEddie Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2011
    Thanks for your replies.

Turns out I was wrong in my assumption.

It is her artwork that she is selling. Not a photo. (though the artwork contains one of her photos)

Good luck to her :D
    Blessed are those who remain flexible, for they shall not get bent out of shape.
  • Options
    Mark DickinsonMark Dickinson Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2011
    I agree with the mob. If it were a picture of a paiting, or a picture of a picture then I'd say yes. That statue probably is outdated with regards to statue of limitations on artwork. Think about Andy (smugmug). I think his tree photo is within a national park. They do require permits, and photos are not to be taken in there commercially. (that might fall under legally) if the cemetary is something of that sort. Or the statue is protected like some artwork is.

But for this one, yeah its not featuring a piece of art that is being depicted for replication.