Can I charge for a photo and ask for credit too

TonyStewartTonyStewart Registered Users Posts: 133 Major grins
edited July 19, 2011 in Mind Your Own Business
I am in the process of selling some of my opera photos to the participants who are community Opera types and also the leads who are professionals.

I have two different prices for the entire DVD one for the regular home user for pleasure and home use and one for the principals who are professionals. The more expensive DVD gives them the right to use the photos on the DVD in perpetuity how they see fit i.e. print or web.

My question is would I be out of line asking the principals who are paying more for the DVD in the first place, it's not a lot more to be honest, to credit me as well as charging them. I'm quite new to event/opera photography so I am not really sure if that's too cheeky or not? I am charging not very much for the whole DVD and there are some great shots of the principals.

Thanks a lot

Comments

• Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2011
    There is a term in the commercial photography world "Take the cash, leave the credit".

If you require people paying for images to give you credit, it may limit sales. Why are you wanting a credit line? Do you honestly believe a credit line will make a real difference in future work? What will you do if someone forgets to give you credit? What will you do if you remind a client to give you credit and they still don't?

Keep in mind, the easier you make it for the client, the more sales you will get. If they like your work they will share that fact with others. If they find you a pain in the butt to deal with, they will share that fact with others.
    Steve

Website
  • Mark DickinsonMark Dickinson Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2011
    If you get paid, let it be. Commercial photos look tacky with credit. Personal, The client will tell who did their photos if they like your pics. I wouldn't require a logo or watermark if they bought the licensing to use them
  • TonyStewartTonyStewart Registered Users Posts: 133 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2011
    Yup I think I'll just take the money :o)

Unless I was a world famous photographer I think credit lines are generally irrelevant, I just wanted to see what everyone else thought.

Cheers