Too Old?

BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
edited October 11, 2005 in People
I don't think my 4 year old is getting 'too' old until he give me one of these looks. Then I wish he was 5 months old again, like his brother. Wait hold that 5 month old twin boys? I'm not that crazy. I was messing around with bounce lightning, and I was suprised, when you get it JUST right, it can produce some really softbox like soft light. I am totally in love with my new 70-200 f4 L, and of course my sons.
39570511-L.jpg

Comments

• ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2005
    Cool kid shot! "One of those looks" captured!

Uh, I have never liked that, my "third" lens. I use it more now than I did, but not for closeups, for the most part.

It is frustrating to me that I can't be closer to the subject to get that shot. (And I have no macro) Now that I can handhold that lens OK, do other things with it just fine, my greatest frustration is having to back off to take a shot.

Since you love it, how do you handle that? And how far away were you?

(I only have three lenses, my others being the 17-400L, love it totally, the 400L, love it totally) I have to back off with it, but I would expect that of a 400mm. But backed off, I can almost get a macro. Amazingly, it is my butterfly lens)

I like your shot, though.clap.gif

ginger:D
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited October 11, 2005
    They don't get much better than that. Good job! thumb.gif
  • BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2005
    Working Distance
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Cool kid shot! "One of those looks" captured!

Uh, I have never liked that, my "third" lens. I use it more now than I did, but not for closeups, for the most part.

It is frustrating to me that I can't be closer to the subject to get that shot. (And I have no macro) Now that I can handhold that lens OK, do other things with it just fine, my greatest frustration is having to back off to take a shot.

Since you love it, how do you handle that? And how far away were you?

ginger:D
    I was at one end of the couch and he leaning on the arm at the other, so say 6 feet or so. This is the first lens I've owned over 105 mm, so I too am more used to being up close at least with a 35mm. I shoot portraits with a 150mm (close to 85mm on a 35) on a Hasselblad which requires 10-12 feet for a 3/4 body shot and 20-25 for a full length so I guess I'm used to this working distance. I find the 70-200 f4 L EXTREMELY handholdable, because of it's non-changing length, and stiff, light construction. This shot was cropped probably 10% at least. I've found the 70-200 to be so darn sharp it begs to be used as a pseudo macro, focussing at the closest distance then cropping to really get in. I have a 17-85 EF-S and in sharpness and color rendition there is just no comparison to the 70-200 (and they cost about the sameamount of money). I've heard great things about the 17-40 f4, but for me if I dumped the 17-85 and had 2 g's to blow I'd replace it with a good 14 mm f2.8 Sigma EX prime, and a 24-70 f2.8 L.

http://JKnauer.smugmug.com/photos/newexif.mg?ImageID=39570511

the exif said I was at 78mm
  • rahmonsterrahmonster Registered Users Posts: 1,376 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2005
    Excellent portrait....Frame it...hang it in your living room its wonderfulclap.gif
    www.tmitchell.smugmug.com

Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life...Picasso