Color correction digital prints for printing

chrisjleechrisjlee Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
edited October 11, 2005 in Finishing School
I went over the sticky noted discussion and i'm still sort of confused.
( http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=18308 )

I'm mainly confused about why there aren't percentages on my computer when using lab color. Instead of percentages i'm given values of negative 128 to positive 128.

Also, I was told that you should tone down the brightest colors and the darkest colors by 10 units (i forgot what the units are called) because printing digital pictures on photo paper make the colors brighter?

thanks in advance.
---
Chris
Detroit Wedding Photography Blog
Canon 10D | 20D | 5D

Comments

• andymillsonandymillson Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2005
    Look at this diagram

35344866-S.jpg

And make sure that the bar between the actual curve diagram, and the Input box is the same. You need to make sure that the White part is to the Left and the Black part is to the Right. You can change this by Clicking on the bar itself. (I dont have the book to hand so I can't remember if you need to use ctrl/Alt/Command to do this. Also to change the divisions in the Curves window to have more you need to Alt-Click (Command Click on the MAC) in the curves window itself to switch between the 2 options

Sorry if this doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but I dont have the manual or Dan's book to hand to give you the correct description on how to change these options

As good as these chapters breakdowns are, they do not repeat everything Dan talks about in his book (and rightly so, we don't want to get hit with a law suit for copyright infringement) so if you can find the book it is well worth the money

Andy
    chrisjlee wrote:
    I went over the sticky noted discussion and i'm still sort of confused.
    ( http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=18308 )

I'm mainly confused about why there aren't percentages on my computer when using lab color. Instead of percentages i'm given values of negative 128 to positive 128.

Also, I was told that you should tone down the brightest colors and the darkest colors by 10 units (i forgot what the units are called) because printing digital pictures on photo paper make the colors brighter?

thanks in advance.
    A Brit among the HAWKEYES
    Canon 5D Mk III
    Canon 24-105L IS USM; Canon 16-35 f/2.8L USM; Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM II
    Sigma 150mm f/2.8 EX DG HSM; Bigma 50-500 f/4-6.3 EX DG HSM
    My Galleries