Options

When Motoring Was A True Adventure

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,322 Major grins
edited July 17, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
We tend to forget the trials and tribulations presented to the early-car motoring bunch. This was primitive car travel by anyone's standards. Mud, bugs, poor lighting, bad weather,and general unreliability of tires and other equipment, meant this was an endeavor for the folks with a spirit for adventure.

The car you see below was a very early entrant in the motoring scene. It is a 1905 Buick Model C. Buick was launched in 1904 with the introduction of the Model B. Only 37 0f those cars were produced and not a single one is known to exist today. The 1905 Model C followed, however, it was in fact a virtual copy of the earlier Model B. A total of 750 of the Model C's were made....the car you see here is one of only 14 still in existance.

The Model C is powered by a 2 cylinder engine producing a whopping 22 HP and has a single chain drive. It sold for $1200 and for that you also got some nice extras: 2 oil side lamps, tail lamps, a horn, and a nice tool kit.

Amelia-2011-2-093-X2.jpg

Amelia-2011-2-091-X2.jpg

Amelia-2011-2-097-X2.jpg

In 1910, Mercer produced an early hot rod. It was called the Runabout. It was a very spartan car....you got a frame, running gear, and power train. Additionally, you got 2 bucket seats, a 25 gal. fuel tank, and a 5 gal. oil tank. You also got a real road rocket. Many of the production cars were raced by the owners. And they weren't inexpensive....in fact, they cost the princely sum of $2500.

For an extra $500, you could buy a 4 seat version that was introduced in 1911. It was called the Toy Tonneau and that's the car you see below.
Still fairly spartan, you could at least carry some folks with you on your wild rides. There aren't many of these Toy Tonneau's left. You can guess at the current value.

Amelia-2011-2-103-X2.jpg

Amelia-2011-2-100-X2.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• Options
    PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2011
    Howdy Tom,

Another great series of the Old Legends,

It does make you think what perils and tribulations
    they did encounter.

I know, we take so much for granted, even with all our
    technology, it's still a gamble on making it to our destinations:D

Very nicely done!!!
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,322 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2011
    Panther wrote: »
    Howdy Tom,

Another great series of the Old Legends,

It does make you think what perils and tribulations
    they did encounter.

I know, we take so much for granted, even with all our
    technology, it's still a gamble on making it to our destinations:D

Very nicely done!!!

Thanks, Craig, for the nice comments.

I hated to come back to this Florida heat and humidity. I know you guys are having it rough out there as well.

Y'all take care,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.