Options

DSS #81 - A few options

MikeKMikeK Registered Users Posts: 227 Major grins
edited July 19, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
Here are a few shots from last weeks vacation. Thoughts and critique appreciated.

Thanks, Mike

1) It's lonely at the top

i-jFDbnPZ-XL.jpg

2) Together until picked

i-KZR7s37-XL.jpg

3) Jumping brothers

This is a quick proof-of-concept where I combined three frames of these brothers ski jumping together. Looking for feedback/thoughts before I put more effort into it.

i-NmksqKJ-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2011
    It's wierd to see the jumpers with no snow around.

#1 needs something, but I'm not sure what.

#2 is nice.

For the #3 concept, I think it would work better with more frames, if you have them - seeing each jumper 5 or 6 times in various states of the rotation.
  • Options
    torrbraetorrbrae Registered Users Posts: 203 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2011
    For the theme, #2 fits best. Like the spiders web connecting the seed pods.
    Finding #3 bit confusing.
  • Options
    ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2011
    #3 does seem a bit busy, but it's a cool idea, #2 is nice too, wondering if a vertical crop might enhance it? Just a thought
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • Options
    kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,275 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2011
    Another vote for #2
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • Options
    VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2011
    #3 isn't working... these are difficult to pull off, first the back ground is too busy and the skier blends in, second it isn't making sense... the shot where the skies are pointed up and the boy is laying back doesn't seem to fit in the sequence... I would try for a more profile angle where the first shot is the skier coming off the jump, then in the air, somersault, downward angle and into the water... Actually if you took out the skier with the upward pointing skies it would look much better and would work... the only shot missing is him coming off the jump... I tried this once, it is quite a challenge to get it right, I still wasn't completely satisfied with my results... :D

927949119_5wXEb-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2011
    Thanks for the feedback so far. I agree that #2 is the best of this bunch for many reasons. I'll try the vertical crop, that's a good idea.

Yes, action sequences are tricky and #3 has some issues, as pointed out. I like the 2 boys jumping together, and do have some extra shots, but the background is too busy, agreed. It is also really interesting that so often when you show an actual sequence through a jump like this that they don't look natural.

Here are a couple other sequences I did in the past that worked out much better.

597955809_fMMer-L.jpg

942509951_7o7zs-XL.jpg
  • Options
    FrochFroch Registered Users Posts: 571 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2011
    I'll play... I'd love to see someone make this a mini challenge. Fun stuff!

** on the entries, I love the single ski jumper. I get separated from it. I love the angle of it, with the structure to the right with small chairs as a scale reference. Very nice!

768158330_WGK2k-L-1.jpg
    20090801BestOfuntitledshoot079-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 19, 2011
    Well thank you for playing! That would be a fun challenge category thumb.gif

Here are a couple more ideas I had this morning:

4) Where did those bread crumbs go?
    (Maybe make it darker and creepier for the mood?)

i-gsFBTH6-XL.jpg

5) Sharing a view

i-DZgCtT6-XL.jpg
  • Options
    ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2011
    I'm kinda liking the tree shot, have you tried it in B&W? I think it would need a strong title to help bring out the connection to the theme, I'm seeing "connected" by all the tree roots in the path, is that where you were going with it?

The sharing a view isn't working for me, they are too far apart on the bench, makes me feel like they're feuding :D
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain