Stevens Canyon waterfalls

squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
edited August 1, 2011 in Landscapes
just a couple of waterfall shots from along the Stevens Canyon road in Mt. Rainier NP on Friday...

Falls Creek Falls - just past the Grove of the Patriarchs - 5D, 24-135 @ 24mm, .6 sec @ f/11, with a touch of Orton...

IMG_7234rdxortonsm.jpg

one of the nameless seasonal falls along this road, just past the Box Canyon overlook... it's visible from the road, but you have to get a few yards up into the bush to get a good view. 5D, 24-135 @ 53mm, 1.3 sec @ f/8...

IMG_7284copyortonsm.jpg
~ Rocky
"Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com

Comments

• Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2011
    Love the first fall, great perspective and shutter speed.
  • shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2011
    Hi Rocky,

#1 is just wonderful. Love the colors and composition.

Cheers,
  • Mathieu05Mathieu05 Registered Users Posts: 203 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2011
    love the processing.. very whimsical. i feel like the sorrounding trees are looking at me... well done!
    Chris Odchigue | Photography

“There is only you and your camera. The limitations in your photography are in yourself, for what we see is what we are.”
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited July 18, 2011
    Great job on these. I don't usually care for the Orton effect, but these are looking mighty fine. thumb.gif
  • squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2011
    Doug Solis wrote: »
    Love the first fall, great perspective and shutter speed.

thanks, Doug. this is actually the view from the bridge that crosses the creek. i was standing on a pedestrian sidewalk when i shot this!
    shniks wrote: »
    Hi Rocky,
    #1 is just wonderful. Love the colors and composition.
    Cheers,

thanks, Shniks!
    Mathieu05 wrote: »
    love the processing.. very whimsical. i feel like the sorrounding trees are looking at me... well done!

thanks, Matthieu... not sure if i'd have picked the term 'whimsical', but i appreciate the kind words!
    kdog wrote: »
    Great job on these. I don't usually care for the Orton effect, but these are looking mighty fine. thumb.gif

thanks, Kdog! i see the Orton effect used a lot when it shouldn't be, IMHO, and it's usually overdone, but a light touch can really make for a nice effect.
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

• bhundtbhundt Registered Users Posts: 122 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2011
    I actually prefer the 2nd one, but there both very nice!
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2011
    #1 clap.gif

I am headed back to Rainier in August. wings.gif
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2011
    Agreed. Both are well captured and processed. Of the two I like image 1 the most. Very pleasing effect applied to the shot. thumb.gif
    Michael
  • WernerGWernerG Registered Users Posts: 534 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2011
    I like the first one also, great detail in the cascading water, soft light, nicely done.
    edited July 27, 2011
    bhundt wrote: »
    I actually prefer the 2nd one, but there both very nice!

thanks!
    dlplumer wrote: »
    #1 clap.gif

I am headed back to Rainier in August. wings.gif

thanks, Dan... if you're lucky, on the back road down from Paradise, you may see some fox kits!

DaddyO wrote: »
    Agreed. Both are well captured and processed. Of the two I like image 1 the most. Very pleasing effect applied to the shot. thumb.gif

thanks, Michael!
    WernerG wrote: »
    I like the first one also, great detail in the cascading water, soft light, nicely done.

thanks, Werner!
    ~ Rocky
    Three Dog Night

• fibredrivefibredrive Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
    edited July 28, 2011
    love the first fall too. composition does it nicely for me. i need to google the orton effect thing...hmm.
  • clickin girlclickin girl Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2011
    These are beautiful! I love waterfall pics but don't live anywhere close to any. I went on vacation to California and got my first waterfall pic! It is one of my favorites! Your 2nd is my favorite but they are both great!
    edited August 1, 2011
    thanks, folks! these are among my favorite waterfalls, even if they do almost dry up in late summer! :D
    ~ Rocky
    Three Dog Night

• Ed HoffmanEd Hoffman Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited August 1, 2011
    Great work