First macro shoot.

JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
edited July 18, 2011 in Holy Macro
I borrowed my daughters 100mm f/2.8 macro lens today, and mated it with my 7D.....this was my first time with a true macro lens.

i-rn4DkX9-X3.jpg

i-2FJTkhf-X3.jpg

This spider's body was only about 1/4" long. It was windy out today, so I didn't get to do as much as I'd like to with this lens. I want to get more DOF next time.
Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D

Comments

• JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2011
    Second attempt.
    So after posting the above shots I read one of Lord V's tutorials and gave it another shot.

i-tLcjZjP-X3.jpg
    Same spider as before, but this time I bounced the flash off the shed behind the spider.

i-xXvMnc3-X3.jpg
    A different spider.

Using the M f11 1/200 External Flash, prefocus, body sway technique....instead of a tripod like I used the first time, made things so much easier, and the pictures turned out better, IMO.

What the heck, one more.....

i-btbL9b7-X3.jpg
  • JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2011
    Oh, and one for Lord V:

i-Kt8dRcr-X3.jpg

thumb.gif
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2011
    Pretty good for first try - they do seem to get better as you go down !
    Brian v.
  • keithlmkeithlm Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited July 18, 2011
    Darn your first pictures look much better than mine. I hope to get some that are as good as yours someday. Soon.

My first macro attempt with my new Sigma 90mm f2.8 manual focus lens taught me that I need to use some kind of wind break. I took some bugs on a few flowers while camping up near Basalt, CO. Most of the pictures were blurry due to the wind. But a few turned out. The wind was moving the flowers so even with a tripod they aren't as sharp as I would like to see.

I also took a dandelion.. and it turned out much better. That would be because it was shielded from the wind; otherwise it wouldn't have had the dandelion feather thingies still.

20110714112-L.jpg

2011071466-L.jpg

2011062541-L.jpg