Options

White water kayaking

SimonMWSimonMW Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
edited July 20, 2011 in Sports
A few that I took in between swims at the Cardiff International White Water Centre. Canon 60D, Pentax 135mm Super Takumar lens.

IMG0088-L.jpg

IMG0085-L.jpg

IMG0175-Version-2-L.jpg

IMG0166-L.jpg
My website
My Smugmug gallery
Pentax K10D
Canon 60D

Comments

• Options
    SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2011
    Wow! Were you in the water or kayaking too? How'd you protect your gear?
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2011
    I took a break and grabbed the shots of the other guys between going down the course (usually upside down!) myself. I do sometimes take the camera in a Pelicase in the kayak on white water trips down natural rivers though.
    My website
    My Smugmug gallery
    Pentax K10D
    Canon 60D
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2011
    Another one.

IMG0186-L.jpg
    My website
    My Smugmug gallery
    Pentax K10D
    Canon 60D
  • Options
    johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2011
    Really nice and tight action here. Great job on getting in tight. The one nit is the saturation levels - a bit too much for my tastes - especially the reds which also has a negative affect on skin tones.
  • Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2011
    Good and tight, well exposed. I'm OK with the sat. These equipment colors are pretty vibrant
    Rags
  • Options
    edited July 19, 2011
    Thanks guys. I'm finding that the 60D has a lot more saturation than the K10D that I used to use. I like quite high stylised saturation at the moment. Just going through a period! I've been trying to get in quite tight with my photos of kayaking as I find that many photos I see of the sport are quite wide and don't seem to capture the intensity of what it is like in the middle of the frothing white mass.
    My website
    My Smugmug gallery
    Pentax K10D
    Canon 60D
  • Options
    jheftijhefti Registered Users Posts: 734 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2011
    SimonMW wrote: »
    Just going through a period! I've been trying to get in quite tight with my photos of kayaking as I find that many photos I see of the sport are quite wide and don't seem to capture the intensity of what it is like in the middle of the frothing white mass.

Simon, you might want to mix the tight shots with some wider shots that show the actual river and its surroundings. Although tight is good, eventually all the white starts to look the same. For comparison, take a look some of these shots by a friend who is considered one of the best photographers of this sport: http://www.kayakphoto.com/darinmcquoid/riverdirectory.html
  • Options
    edited July 19, 2011
    Hi John,

I've enjoyed Darin's photographs for some time now. The photos I took the other day were at an artificial course, so there wasn't really much in the way of interest scenery wise. Also I only had my 135mm prime with me. Ordinarily I would agree with you about taking a variety of shots. But with that particular lens my exercise was to work with it. Being a fully manual lens with no electronics meant that the day was an exercise in practising my manual follow focus skills and real time exposure pulling.
    My website
    My Smugmug gallery
    Pentax K10D
    Canon 60D
  • Options
    jheftijhefti Registered Users Posts: 734 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2011
    SimonMW wrote: »
    Hi John,

I've enjoyed Darin's photographs for some time now. The photos I took the other day were at an artificial course, so there wasn't really much in the way of interest scenery wise. Also I only had my 135mm prime with me. Ordinarily I would agree with you about taking a variety of shots. But with that particular lens my exercise was to work with it. Being a fully manual lens with no electronics meant that the day was an exercise in practising my manual follow focus skills and real time exposure pulling.

Yeah, most artificial courses are not very pretty. I was in Germany a few weeks ago and took some shots at the Eiskanal in Augsburg (the first artificial course). I only wish I was into photography was I was kayaking some of those runs Darin documents so well. Now at mid-life, and with rickety shoulders, I don't feel comfortable running hard class V anymore.

BTW, I might also suggest selectively saturating the color of the boat and equipment, and leaving the water--especially the white parts--less saturated. It makes for nice contrast, and foam with color fringes looks a little weird.

J
  • Options
    digidronedigidrone Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2011
    Nice series!
    I agree with a little more environment included though.