Cell Phone Cameras arent real cameras?

ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
edited July 20, 2011 in Cameras
It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.

Comments

• ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2011
    I like this. Cell phone cameras are real cameras. They're so real, in fact, that they're quickly taking over the compact camera market, in which Olympus is a major player. (Why carry a cell phone and a camera, when your iphone has an 8mp camera?) The compact camera companies need to do something about it. This is Olympus's try. It might help them a little, but they really need to CHANGE compact cameras. Every company does. Whoever does it first will gain market share and be ahead of the other players. Not for long, because they will get copied (that's what camera companies do best :).

I like Thom Hogan's idea: making them integrated with Facetwit and other sites. That's why cell phone cameras are successful: they don't require that middle step, the computer. They make it simple: straight from camera to web. Most consumers don't care about image quality, they care about sharing their photos. Cell phones make that much easier than compacts. I really wish Apple would make a camera, because they would do it right :)
  • silversx80silversx80 Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2011
    I own a few Olympus cameras (OM-10, E-620 and an E-PL1) and a cell phone with a camera (Samsung Galaxy S). What is going to happen to me now? Are men in black suits, with Olympus name tags, going to knock on my door soon?
    - Joe
    http://silversx80.smugmug.com/
    Olympus E-M5, 12-50mm, 45mm f/1.8
    Some legacy OM lenses and an OM-10
  • ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2011
    silversx80 wrote: »
    I own a few Olympus cameras (OM-10, E-620 and an E-PL1) and a cell phone with a camera (Samsung Galaxy S). What is going to happen to me now? Are men in black suits, with Olympus name tags, going to knock on my door soon?

If you hear Helicopters - run!
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2011
    What's wrong with 2 min noodles? ... or whatever your preferred (similar) re-fuelling stop is :)

pp
  • Chuck289Chuck289 Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited July 18, 2011
    I usually take at least 6 minutes for noodles.
  • moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2011
    Are they the same folks who ran some ads (at least on billboards) that read "If it has a ring tone, it's not a camera" ? I thought that was a good one.

I use an Iphone, but I don't thing I've taken more than half a dozen photos with it. Couple of years ago, I was looking for a new cell phone - all I wanted was a basic phone, no camera, not nothing, but the salesman said "They all have cameras!" I told him I had $6K worth of camera equipment, I didn't need a phone to take lousy pictures. :D
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2011
    Zanotti wrote: »

As someone who uses Olympus cameras, and was for several years an "Olympus Visionary," all I can say is that while the ad is hilarious, it shows how utterly out of touch with reality Olympus has become. For the past year my wife and I have been receiving still photos and videos, several times a week, of our first grand daughter - and virtually all of the images are shot on an iPhone. And by the way, my son has a full-time job- with benefits - as a skateboard photographer.

The world has changed.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2011
    I'm not sure how insulting and mocking your potential customer base is going to net you more customers. headscratch.gif

Hint to Olympus: if your photos are "rubbish" it's probably not the fault of the cameraphone.

It's too bad, they could have really emphasized some of the advantages that a dedicated camera has over a cell phone (more control, faster shutter speeds, larger sensors, better lenses, etc.). Or they could have teamed with an existing phone manufacturer and helped develop a better camera phone. Instead, this. Sigh.
  • MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2011
    I like this. Cell phone cameras are real cameras. They're so real, in fact, that they're quickly taking over the compact camera market, in which Olympus is a major player. (Why carry a cell phone and a camera, when your iphone has an 8mp camera?) The compact camera companies need to do something about it. This is Olympus's try. It might help them a little, but they really need to CHANGE compact cameras. Every company does. Whoever does it first will gain market share and be ahead of the other players. Not for long, because they will get copied (that's what camera companies do best :).

I like Thom Hogan's idea: making them integrated with Facetwit and other sites. That's why cell phone cameras are successful: they don't require that middle step, the computer. They make it simple: straight from camera to web. Most consumers don't care about image quality, they care about sharing their photos. Cell phones make that much easier than compacts. I really wish Apple would make a camera, because they would do it right :)

Keep in mind, we're dealing with an industry that is still trying to sell us on PictBridge ...
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited July 19, 2011
    Y'all just had to mention cell phone cameras and Olympus in the same thread ...

(My sincere apologies to Olympus camera users. This video does not represent my views towards Olympus cameras at all.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2011
    the nokia n8 has a larger sensor than most pocket digital cameras
  • JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2011
    MarkR wrote: »
    Or they could have teamed with an existing phone manufacturer and helped develop a better camera phone. Instead, this. Sigh.

That's exactly the right strategy. I think all the camera companies' bread and butter is the digicam market (even Nikon and Canon, although I am not so sure about that). They should take a good hard look at Kodak. See what happens when you choose to ignore the tiger, rather than riding it?
    Cave ab homine unius libri
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited July 20, 2011
    Great video, Ziggy. It's not the camera--it's a highly skilled pro photographer, MUA, hair stylist, tens of thousands of dollars of lighting gear and a gorgeous model. Right, nothing to it. All ya need is an iPhone. lol3.gif
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2011
    "A camera phone is to photography what two minute noddles are to cooking"

Something that can be consumed right now!

Something easier to take back packing!

Something all college age kids buy.
    tom wise
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2011
    angevin1 wrote:
    "A camera phone is to photography what two minute noddles are to cooking"

Something that can be consumed right now!

Something easier to take back packing!

Something all college age kids buy.

Haha, I like it. Good points.
    MarkR wrote:
    Keep in mind, we're dealing with an industry that is still trying to sell us on PictBridge ...

Does anyone ever use that? Do the camera companies really think people do? I can't believe they haven't figured it out yet. Why can't they figure out that the majority of photogs want real features? Here's one way to think of it: Pictbridge actually helps you take worse photos, because it skips post processing, which usually makes a photo better rolleyes1.gif. Maybe we should start a dgrin camera company... let's see, how do you make a sensor?... No, we'll just get some from Sony. Built-in wifi for sure, internet browsing, a version of dgrin for cameras, and let's use Thom Hogan's OK (Open Kamera) operating system. Now... the mirror could be transplanted from a Canon or Nikon... same with the shutter...
    edited July 20, 2011
    Cell phone cameras obviously satisfy a need for instant, social imaging. The fact that they may also be pressed into service for other types of photography should also come as no surprise. People will always find unique ways to use almost anything beyond its obvious use.

It remains that some camera-systems are much more suited for some tasks than others.

Just because you "can", doesn't mean that you "should".

ziggy53
    edited July 20, 2011
    Richard wrote: »
    Great video, Ziggy. It's not the camera--it's a highly skilled pro photographer, MUA, hair stylist, tens of thousands of dollars of lighting gear and a gorgeous model. Right, nothing to it. All ya need is an iPhone. lol3.gif

Don't forget the image editor, who performed background removal and background extension and skin and color correction and color grading and stray hair removal and white and black point settings, and ...
    ziggy53
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited July 20, 2011
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    Don't forget the image editor, who performed background removal and background extension and skin and color correction and color grading and stray hair removal and white and black point settings, and ...
    nod.gif I forgot that one. :D