Princess Bride pines and one very elusive moon

schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
edited July 20, 2011 in Landscapes
The bristlecone pine trees are endlessly fascinating. From sun to moon for centuries, they've survived the harshest climates and weathered more storms than we humans could ever imagine.

moonrise-bristlecone-patriach-XL.jpg

bristlecone-methuselah-star-XL.jpg

They're either "mostly dead" or "all dead", but that makes them more beautiful. Or ironic, depending on how you look at it.

For those not familiar with these trees, ancient bristlecone pines really are ancient. Some of the ones we passed have been dead for thousands of years, and the oldest one still alive is 4,800 years old – the oldest known living organism on Earth. As the harsh climate takes its toll, sometimes most of the tree will die back, hanging on to life with a single strip of bark and a few leaves. The heartwood that remains is beautifully twisted and striped like taffy.

It's really tough to photograph these trees. Something about the presence of these ancient souls takes your breath away. Or it's the altitude.

Comments

• jpcjpc Registered Users Posts: 840 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2011
    #2 is sensational. Thanks for the trivia. I had no idea anything lived for 4,800 years!!
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2011
    clap.gifclap.gif beautiful, Schmoo, just beautiful.
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2011
    2 is timeless and classic. The b/w really shows the tree's character. But - gotta love the first one! The placement of the moon is a gem! clap.gif
  • Bryans12vBryans12v Registered Users Posts: 362 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2011
    Was this last night? I wathced the moon come up over here on the east coast and paused to take it all in. It was really humid and it came over the horizon almost red.

These are spectacular. The first is great. The prespective makes the moon almost seem weightless for me, very cool comp!

Is the second IR? Killer shot regardless!
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited July 18, 2011
    Cracking shots, Schmoo. That was brilliant to catch the moonrise in your shot. I can't believe I haven't made it out to the Bristlecones yet.
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2011
    Especially love the B & W clap.gif
  • bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2011
    These are both fantastic. The first shot looks as if the tree is holding the moon in its branches. The b/w with starburst, wow! The tree almost looks chrome.
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2011
    Awesome shots Schmoo and, like others have said, perfect placement/composition thumb.gif
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2011
    Thanks, all! Such a different reaction than I have myself. I am supremely dissatisfied with both pics and almost didn't post them, but both have a lot of personal interest. The moon in #1 rose so fast that even after waiting on that hilltop for 1.5 hours I was caught unprepared. The second was halfway through a grueling hike and I was so hot and uncomfortable I just put the camera on the ground, snapped a few frames and got lucky.

Hey Joel you definitely should head out that way when you can. I know you're an avid traveller and no stranger to spending time out of doors. We were able to take the Mini up (and even beyond) Patriarch Grove, but it's much easier in an SUV.
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2011
    I really like the light in both of these shots. I might clone out the little bits of tree on the bottom of the first. It would have been great to be able to get a POV that would have had the moon a bit higher up, but I totally hear you on it moving fast! Love the perspective on the second shot, good detail and really clean (no flare and other grime for straight into the sun shot).
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2011
    Nice works Schmoo :D The moon is very elusive to capture well and you've done a nice shot with it. Cool starburst impactfully accentuating the lines of the ancient bristlecone. Looks excellent in BW as you have done it up thumb.gif
    Michael
  • bhundtbhundt Registered Users Posts: 122 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2011
    I have always loved dead trees. (I like the live ones also) Both shots are beautiful!