Wagon Star-scape

WirenWiren Registered Users Posts: 741 Major grins
edited July 22, 2011 in Landscapes
more of a star trail landscape than a traditional landscape, I just don't think enough people would see it in the "other cool shots" forum.

Shot this from 10pm to 6am over a Wagon Train Trip last week - 1/15, f3.5, ISO 160, 1265 shots in all, stacked using startrails.de program.

The lights on the ground behind the wagon is from our "horse watch" crew that went past every 30minutes to check the highlines our equines were tied to.... not much I could do about it.

Wagon-Trail-XL.jpg
Lee Wiren

Comments

• TinstaflTinstafl Registered Users Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2011
    I love this idea. I have not shot star trails though have stacked and done other types. This is a must do but I need a dark sky. I like the lights in the background too. Gives ita stand out quality like the stars are falling to earth.
  • bhundtbhundt Registered Users Posts: 122 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2011
    Okay that's a cool shot! I've yet to play around with star shooting, but it's something that I want to do.
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2011
    Very cool image. Well done. thumb.gif I'm sure it says more yet shown large.
    Too bad not much could be done about the unwanted lights but its not that distracting either. But agreed. It'd be pretty excellent if they weren't there.
    Michael
  • WirenWiren Registered Users Posts: 741 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2011
    DaddyO wrote: »
    Very cool image. Well done. thumb.gif I'm sure it says more yet shown large.
    Too bad not much could be done about the unwanted lights but its not that distracting either. But agreed. It'd be pretty excellent if they weren't there.

I am going to go back and try to take out however many photo's there were from when they walked by. Hopefully that won't create too many gaps in the star sequence, it should still be a killer shot.

Lee
    Lee Wiren
  • Mathieu05Mathieu05 Registered Users Posts: 203 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2011
    Excellent shot! Did you do light painting for the wagon?
    Chris Odchigue | Photography

“There is only you and your camera. The limitations in your photography are in yourself, for what we see is what we are.”
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited July 21, 2011
    Great shot! I'll have to give that program a try.
    edited July 22, 2011
    Mathieu05 wrote: »
    Excellent shot! Did you do light painting for the wagon?

Yes, I painted the wagon with a flashlight for three out of the 1265 frames. I kind of wish I had gone to the background and painted the trees to have them in color also.... oh well, next year mwink.gif
    Lee Wiren
  • JasenkaJasenka Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited July 22, 2011
    Love it!! Beautiful shot! I wish we have dark sky too :)
    Jasenka Photo
    edited July 22, 2011
    Jasenka wrote: »
    Love it!! Beautiful shot! I wish we have dark sky too :)

Well, I did have to travel 200 miles to get that pretty dark sky - but it's nice not seeing/hearing airplanes go by!
    Lee Wiren