Anyone used an Olympus SZ-10 18x superzoom?

Bend The LightBend The Light Registered Users Posts: 1,887 Major grins
edited July 31, 2011 in Cameras
Hi,

I just won a competition with one of my images, and one of the prizes is an olympus camera. I haven't got it yet, but it looks to be the SZ10.

I looked at the reviews on Google, but have not yet found any CUSTOMER reviews...they all seem to be the marketing blurb. The camera was launched in Feb 2011, and all the reviews I have found thus far date from then, or before.

I am interested to find out what people think of the camera, from the point of view of a dSLR user, perhaps. I have a Canon 400d, and a few old lenses...is the Olympus going to find a niche in my kit?

Any actual user experiences are welcome.

Cheers

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited July 19, 2011
    Congratulations on the win. clap.gif

If it is the Olympus SX-10 then it appears to be a reasonably competent superzoom P&S. Like you, I couldn't find much on this camera and it does not look to be a very popular camera. Even Amazon only shows a few customer reviews, and probably not enough to draw a consensus of opinion.

I found 1 mini-review of the camera (the link is to a translation of the page.) Color rendition looks OK for the 2 samples they post.

Most P&S superzooms suffer in absolute image quality for enlargements but they are fine for snapshot sized prints and Internet viewing. The small sensor size probably limits low light without flash, and the built-in flash is probably typical for P&S cameras. In this class of camera, I think that's all perfectly acceptable.

Comparing a $200, 1/2.3" Type CCD, P&S camera to any dSLR is going to be frustrating. The image quality from almost any dSLR will win in most instances, given the opportunity for better and more lighting options, better lenses and lens choices and a (typically CMOS) huge sensor by comparison.

If you just want a typical quick and easy P&S for snaps, the Olympus SX-10 will probably be fine for that purpose. If that's not what you want, sell this camera before you even open it and use the proceeds towards something that you do want or need.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Bend The LightBend The Light Registered Users Posts: 1,887 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2011
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    Congratulations on the win. clap.gif

If it is the Olympus SX-10 then it appears to be a reasonably competent superzoom P&S. Like you, I couldn't find much on this camera and it does not look to be a very popular camera. Even Amazon only shows a few customer reviews, and probably not enough to draw a consensus of opinion.

I found 1 mini-review of the camera (the link is to a translation of the page.) Color rendition looks OK for the 2 samples they post.

Most P&S superzooms suffer in absolute image quality for enlargements but they are fine for snapshot sized prints and Internet viewing. The small sensor size probably limits low light without flash, and the built-in flash is probably typical for P&S cameras. In this class of camera, I think that's all perfectly acceptable.

Comparing a $200, 1/2.3" Type CCD, P&S camera to any dSLR is going to be frustrating. The image quality from almost any dSLR will win in most instances, given the opportunity for better and more lighting options, better lenses and lens choices and a (typically CMOS) huge sensor by comparison.

If you just want a typical quick and easy P&S for snaps, the Olympus SX-10 will probably be fine for that purpose. If that's not what you want, sell this camera before you even open it and use the proceeds towards something that you do want or need.

Yes, that's really my thinking. The SZ 10 looks a decent compact, but I may get frustrated like you say. As for "opening" it or not, I may not get the option...it's being presented on a day when I go shooting at a Hawk Conservency with a TV celebrity. I agree that there may be some better use for the money, however, so I will bear that in mind.

Cheers for the write up. :)
  • MavMav Registered Users Posts: 174 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2011
    Am I the only one who wants to see the image that won?! :)
    edited July 19, 2011
    Mav wrote: »
    Am I the only one who wants to see the image that won?! :)

Sorry, I posted that in an earlier thread. :)

Here it is:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=202002
    edited July 31, 2011
    Well I have used one now...Took the Olympus SZ10 camera I won on holiday, left the Canon at home.

Here are a couple of shots from the Olympus...what do you think?

5994597172_30eac7952d_o.jpg
    Chapel point beach huts Olympus by http://bendthelight.me.uk, on Flickr

5994012107_cbefec02bb_o.jpg
    dandelion olympus by http://bendthelight.me.uk, on Flickr

5993985021_4a9b249682_o.jpg
    Butterfly Olympus by http://bendthelight.me.uk, on Flickr

5994527736_fb07e9fb9d_o.jpg
    Hoverfly Olympus by http://bendthelight.me.uk, on Flickr
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2011
    #1 and #4 are great thumb.gif