Options

Preschool Contracts

MB ShutterMB Shutter Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
edited August 12, 2011 in Mind Your Own Business
I've been extremely busy the past few months (thankfully!!) with children and family portraits sessions. This is my passion however with the fall approaching and living in a resort town, these sessions will slow down considerably (with exception of holiday sessions and designs).

I would like to start working with some of the private preschools in the area for their fall and spring portraits. This would also help in expanding my local clientele with children and families. Has anyone worked with private preschools that can give me suggestions on approaching them or any insight? I've put together a piece for the Directors and would like to begin contacting them by the end of the week. Any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks so much!

Comments

• Options
    Mark DickinsonMark Dickinson Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2011
    Sorry no one replied. If you get with them, do it. It's a good way to make connections.

I'd make sure you are licensed,
    Get basic liability insurance
    Letterhead the schools and offer a kickback
    Shoot your pics possibly keep each child separate so others can't view the pics
    Sell prints
  • Options
    GlortGlort Registered Users Posts: 1,015 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2011
    When I want to get in with other businesses or organisations, I write a strong approach letter outlining what I want to do and the key benifits I offer THEM in working with me then follow the letter up in a few days with a phone call. From there if they are interested i make an appointment to go see them and do the deal from there.

When you see them ask questions about that THEY want or the ideas THEY have and what would suit their needs. I have found time and time again that kickbacks have no where near the attraction that other things have had HOWEVER, if the business is tight and they are finding things difficult, another $100 clear profit for doing nothing may be a great attraction.

The thing is, Find out what THEY value and would like from you.

If you don't know how to write a good approach letter, educate yourself of pay to have one written. In a lot of cases its the make or break of a deal.
    One tactic i have used is to ring the place and find out who you should send your info to. if you can talk to them " unexpectedly" and set the scene that your not trying to sell them anything right now, just find out whom the right person to send some info to is and then maybe ask a couple of questions, you can often get them involved and do the pitch over the phone and build a lot of rapport. It's a skill but not hard to learn although you do need to be confident and know how to sell and sell very subtley.
  • Options
    John PatrickJohn Patrick Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited August 11, 2011
    First, it's not called a kickback (kickbacks are illegal), but a commission (commissions are legal and work just like kickbacks...).

Second, most preschool administrators are choosing their photographer back in Jan/Feb. If they already have a photographer, you're going to need to convince them to change, and by that I don't mean a larger kickba... er, commission, although that's what they really want.

Since this post is over a month old, please let us know how it worked.

(Note: Public forums like this isn't exactly the best place to discuss these things. A private forum would be better. Message for more details.)

John
    John Patrick
    Canon shooter
  • Options
    MB ShutterMB Shutter Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited August 11, 2011
    Well the post isn't a month old just yet...but I have contacted several private preschools in the area. All of the facilities I contacted were very receptive. My initial contact was made via an informational package I put together outlining exactly how my services are different from typical school photography, the benefits I bring to the school such as ....paperless orders, parent consultations, complimentary images for staff, a 10% commission (although Mark, I knew exactly what you meant thumb.gif) to the school, etc. And although it is nearing the end of summer....NOT all private preschools (and we have many of them here) are contracted with photographers. Actually, one that was already contracted I've already bumped for the 2012/2013 school year by contacting the school's director when others aren't...she signed with myself last week. To date I have 3 schools lined up for the 2011/2012 school year for both fall and spring portraits so I am quite happy with the results.

Thank you for all of the responses....John, this wasn't my only source for information but instead was more of a "it certainly can't hurt to ask opinions" post.
  • Options
    John PatrickJohn Patrick Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited August 11, 2011
    It must be a regional thing, then. Last May, I contacted three preschools, and all three told me they booked their photographer in Jan/Feb. The gist of all three conversations went basically: 1) Commission percentage, 2) Cheapest package.

John
    John Patrick
    Canon shooter
  • Options
    GlortGlort Registered Users Posts: 1,015 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2011
    [QUOTE=John Patrick;1657028 The gist of all three conversations went basically: 1) Commission percentage, 2) Cheapest package.

John[/QUOTE]

This is my experience with anything like this especially T&I.