Options

#81 Possibilities from CA Central Coast Wine Region

billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
edited July 25, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
Been on a road trip up to Paso Robles for some wine tasting and relaxation. Here are four I'm considering for the challenge. As you can see, I've been post-processing with my new favorite iPad app., Snapseed. I'd love to know what you think....

1. Wine Lines
IMG0108-L.jpg

2. Oak and Redwood
IMG0111-L.jpg

Doce Robles, Seis Botellas (Twelve Oaks, Six Bottles)
IMG0107-L.jpg

Winery Cat Meets Winery Girl
IMG0110-L.jpg
Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug

Comments

• Options
    ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2011
    I'm having trouble seeing the theme in some of these. At first I was thinking the cat one was best fitted, but everytime I look at it, the cat's troubled expression bugs me more and more. When you process something through this app, do you retain the exif data?
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • Options
    dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2011
    Nice shots and processing Bill. Glad to see you're having a good trip. I like the wine barrel and the cat shot best for the theme. I can't quite put my finger on why the wine barrel shot works but my opinion is that somehow it does. Have to agree with Greg on the cats expression though.
  • Options
    ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2011
    I really like the texture and colors in the wine barrel shotclap.gif
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2011
    ghinson wrote: »
    I'm having trouble seeing the theme in some of these. At first I was thinking the cat one was best fitted, but everytime I look at it, the cat's troubled expression bugs me more and more. When you process something through this app, do you retain the exif data?

I gotta agree with you about the cat's expression. If she/he had seemed more content, I might like it better for the theme. As I processed it, I became more and more aware of the expression. Funny thing, my wife (the model) tends to bring that out in cats. ne_nau.gif

I hadn't checked the EXIF, but the answer is apparently "no", so if I choose to enter one processed this way, I'd have to link to the original file's data.

As far as seeing the theme, I understand that there's not any strong literal match. I was thinking the first one shows seperated rows of grape vines; the barrel could be about either the barrel slats connected by the metal hoops or the separation of the vertical and horizontal lines; the bottles are different types of wine connected by the common label. In the end, I agree that the theme is not readily apparent and if I need to explain it, it's not really gonna work as a strong entry.
    FWIW, I like the first two best. I was curious about people's response to their theme alignment, though.
    Bill Banning

• Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2011
    I'm liking the shot with the grapes. thumb.gif But you'd have to do some finagling with the title to draw the viewer's attention to the theme. It's a gorgeous shot. I'm not 100% sure that the editing software you used retains the exif. I ran into that problem for the previous challenge when I noticed that after I edited some shots with software on my iPhone. The barrel shot is nice too, but I'd like to see more of the wood texture.
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2011
    Thanks, Linda....

I'm grinding the gears thinking about a better title for the first shot. Maybe "Soil to Vine, Grape to Wine" would be better?
    Bill Banning

• Options
    PedalGirlPedalGirl Registered Users Posts: 794 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2011
    Great shots... but I agree with dhinson... I'm not seeing the theme. IMHO... if the title has to explain how it fits the theme, maybe a different shot is the way to go.
    Pho-tog-ra-pher (n) 1. One who practices photography 2. one obsessed with capturing life with their camera. 3. One who eats, sleeps and breathes photographs. 4. One who sees the world in 4x6.
    www.lisaspeakmanphotography.com
  • Options
    kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,275 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2011
    I really like #1....and those trees obviously are all connected--you can see the lines!
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • Options
    GretaPicsGretaPics Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2011
    I really like the look of #1 with your new title, but to me the vines are obviously connected. And I love the processing too, perfect for the subject matter. #2 would be my 2nd choice. GP
  • Options
    slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,194 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2011
    I love them all. If I just had to pick a favorite, I'd probably choose #2 or the kitty shot. Nice job.

Sherry