Portrait guy at aquarium

HelvegrHelvegr Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
edited August 11, 2011 in The Big Picture
So I'm on vacation and the wife and I went to the aquarium. At the entrance was a man with a simple setup shooting quick portraits, not uncommon at this type of venue.

He shot probably 4 frames of the wife and I and handed us a card with one of those QR barcodes on it. After a pleasant day at the aquarium we went back over to the photo booth and handed them the card. She quickly scanned it and made some quick prints for sale.

What I can't really figure out is the relationship between the frames on the camera and whatever that barcode resolved to.

Anybody have any insight into how this works?
Camera: Nikon D4
Lenses: Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VR II | Nikon 24-70 f/2.8 | Nikon 50mm f/1.4
Lighting: SB-910 | SU-800

Comments

• SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2011
    Helvegr wrote: »
    So I'm on vacation and the wife and I went to the aquarium. At the entrance was a man with a simple setup shooting quick portraits, not uncommon at this type of venue.

He shot probably 4 frames of the wife and I and handed us a card with one of those QR barcodes on it. After a pleasant day at the aquarium we went back over to the photo booth and handed them the card. She quickly scanned it and made some quick prints for sale.

What I can't really figure out is the relationship between the frames on the camera and whatever that barcode resolved to.

Not to be a wise guy but seriously I would have asked.

San
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2011
    Could it have something to do with the 7D package with the barcode scanner? Canon quietly released such a package, it had a barcode scanner and some other things... I'll see if I can find it.
    edited July 20, 2011
    Yep, I bet it was the 7D Studio Version (7DSV). I found the link:

http://www.canonrumors.com/2010/08/7d-studio-version-official/
  • HelvegrHelvegr Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2011
    Could it have something to do with the 7D package with the barcode scanner? Canon quietly released such a package, it had a barcode scanner and some other things... I'll see if I can find it.

He was actually shooting Nikon. I would have asked but I really didn't think anything of it until after the whole process and was left thinking about it.

Seems like I've seen something similar as some Vegas shows. Somebody grabbing shots of couples before the show starts and they are ready at the end.
    Camera: Nikon D4
    Lenses: Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VR II | Nikon 24-70 f/2.8 | Nikon 50mm f/1.4
    Lighting: SB-910 | SU-800
  • OhiohikerOhiohiker Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2011
    At Disney Parks they have tons of these photographers using Nikon cameras and a small portable device that they scan a card. I never really asked any of the photogs there because most did not seem to know very much other than smile and push the button. I am sure there is someplace to find setups like this.
  • CowboydougCowboydoug Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2011
    I thought this was worth revisiting - anyone find more Info?
    Can you tell me what aquarium you were at?
    I would like to find out more about this card deal.
    Has anyone looked into this further?
    OR- found any additional info?

Helvegr wrote: »

I'm a Kidnapper... I take terrible pictures of people, then hold them for ransom.

Cowboydoug
    Certified Journeyman Commercial Photographer
    www.iWasThereToo.com
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2011
    Are you sure he didn't snap a shot of the card with the bar code on it just before taking your photo? That would be the simplest explanation. They have apps to read barcodes. Just a guess here.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2011
    Found it. Go to snapizzi.com. This is what you're looking for.

My Smug Site
    edited August 4, 2011
    edited August 4, 2011
    I've noticed that every theme park or event I've attended, where they have photogs setup to take portraits of people as they walk shoot Nikon. I have yet to see one of these guys shoot Canon. Nothing implied by this, just a curious observation I've made.

My Smug Site
    edited August 4, 2011
    Maybe my linky explains that... did you click through?
    edited August 4, 2011
    I did. I think you're referring to the last photo that is obviously photoshopped. A Nikon body with Canon lens and speedlight? Why would anyone want to do that?

My Smug Site
    edited August 4, 2011
    I didn't think PS... I thought tape with Nikon logo. The shape of that body really looks like a Canon. Could be PS tho.
  • pamelagreen79pamelagreen79 Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited August 5, 2011
    Hey anonymouscuban thanks for sharing this site. It explains everything. That is one amazing technology that I have ever seen.
  • mjoshi123mjoshi123 Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2011
    Cowboydoug wrote: »
    Can you tell me what aquarium you were at?
    I would like to find out more about this card deal.
    Has anyone looked into this further?
    OR- found any additional info?

New England Aquarium in Boston does this. If you are in Boston take a peek...
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited August 11, 2011
    Last time I was at Disney in Florida, they were using Nikon equipment.