Train at night lit by 2 flashes

SimpsonBrothersSimpsonBrothers Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
edited July 21, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
Took this photo for the Strobist Boot Camp Assignment #2.

You can only use two flashes and had to take a photo of an object that represents your town.

My town was founded due to the railroad being built, and is still used for a commuting town.

Do you think I did ok? It was kind of a challenge lighting something that long with only two flashes.

Here is the shot, click for large
5960241492_4d5ce54309_m.jpg
Tracy Train - Union Pacific 5417 GE ES44AC by Simpson Brothers Photography, on Flickr

here is the lighting setup, click for large
5961256296_f127cb6db3_m.jpg
Lighting Setup for Train by Simpson Brothers Photography, on Flickr

Comments

• SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2011
    I think ya did good.

Sam
  • SimpsonBrothersSimpsonBrothers Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2011
    Sam wrote: »
    I think ya did good.

Sam

Thanks Sam!
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2011
    Looks to me like you've done a great job towards getting your picture. With your set up diagrahm shown I find myself wondering if there where other arrangements you also tried and what results they yielded or failed to for your tastes.
    For myself and this is just me, I find that I would like very much to see the front coupler area of the lead engine. Not necessarily strongly but that I get to see much more detail than what I don't really see now.

I remember the first time I discovered how far the 420ex would throw light at night. It was a wow experience. Love to walk around in long exposure night scene shots and fire off the flash here and there.

Nice effort. Nice shot. thumb.gif
    Michael
  • SimpsonBrothersSimpsonBrothers Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2011
    DaddyO wrote: »
    ...I find myself wondering if there where other arrangements you also tried and what results they yielded or failed to for your tastes
    Before that shot I tried a head on shot with the two flashes lighting the front (boring) and then a shot where the two flashes were just behind the front trying for the side outline, dark front (didn't work out). This was the best result of the 3 styles that I tried, normally I would throw a 3rd flash to light the front, but it was against the rules. I think I might have been able to move the 420EX closer to the front of the train and point it to the end of the train roof to account for the falloff, but I didn't think of that until now.:D Next time.