Olympus EP2 vs EP3

MrFaultyMrFaulty Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
edited July 30, 2011 in Cameras
Hi I am looking at buying an Olympus EP2 or 3 for my girlfriend for her birthday - I have seen photos taken witht he EP2 and was impressed and was given advice that this was a good camera.

Can anyone tell me what the difference between the EP2 and EP3 is? aslo is there a canon equivalent (I have had 2 olympus basic digital cameras - C470 and MU850 I think) and not been overly fussed with either. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited July 21, 2011
    The Olympus Pen E-P3 was recently announced and I don't see it in stock in the US anyway. If you want something quickly, that availability (or lack thereof) should make your decision for you.

Likewise I don't see any reviews yet, just previews, so reliable information is just based on the specifications.

The claims are that AF performance is improved in the E-P3 versus the E-P2. A focus assist lamp should help in low and no-light situations. Video capture is full HD 1080i60 movies in AVCHD format (max 17Mbps) for the E-P3 versus 720p for the E-P2 (in an older file format).

Panasonic has the most directly comparable models and includes "some" lens compatibility with the Epson competing models. (I don't recommend mixing and matching between the the 2 manufacturers except for a couple of very specialized lenses.)

Nikon and Canon do not currently have directly competing products. The Sony NEX cameras are somewhat similar to the Olympus digital Pens and I find them interesting.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • KeesKees Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited July 30, 2011
    The most obvious differences between the EP-2 and the EP-3 are:
    The EP-3 has no lag-time and virtually instant auto focus. It is the fastest responding camera I've ever used (including full size DSLRs).
    The EP-3 has a very nice touch screen. You can (among many other options, but this is for me the most important one) focus by touching the LCD screen or focus and release in one touch of your screen. Reaction time is also almost instantly in this mode. I like this a lot for street photography.

As far as I know neither Nikon nor Canon have anything like this in their product range.

If you have any specific question, don't hesitate to ask, I own both the EP-1 (mostly identical to the EP-2) and the EP-3.