Fitness competition

CCoopCCoop Registered Users Posts: 511 Major grins
edited July 24, 2011 in People
At the SNBF fitness/figure competition, our good friend asked me to take pics. A real privilege, and lots of fun! A borrowed 70-200 f2.8 lens at 1/90/2.8, handheld. Other pics coming if helpful. On a Canon digital rebel XTi. Iso 400. Total fun. Your CC welcome! ccoop
IMG6187KathyGrp-L.jpg

Comments

• CCoopCCoop Registered Users Posts: 511 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2011
    And from the pre-competition studio shoot, using fluorescent daylight balanced lights and on camera flash, fingers-crossed, thank goodness for good outcome. All suggestions for improvement welcome. This was a first- time effort!!
    IMG6013KathyN-L.jpg
    edited July 21, 2011
    And my favorite from the studio, in context, ... nifty fifty, with same fluorescent daylight balanced light, 1/90, f2.8, ISO 400.
    IMG6062KathyN-L.jpg
  • jttphotojttphoto Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited July 22, 2011
    I like the fun candidness of the third shot from the gym. Maybe on the first one you could crop out some of the dead space at the top and eliminate the small amount of stage wall at the bottom. Other than that a nice shot of the group. I think the lighting is good for the second one. Your friend could use a few more coats of Protan. I've learned over the years from helping my friends with their comps and doing a bodybuilding show myself that when you think you're dark enough you need to add at least two more layers of fake tan. The other thing I see in photo 2 has more to do with your friend's posing. I would suggest turning her right foot out slightly to accentuate her quad sweep. With her toes turned in she loses any leg definition and looks smooth with no separation. I also think if she arched a little more and twisted her body towards the camera she would make her lats look bigger and waist smaller. That being said bravo to her for getting on stage. How'd she place and how many shows has she done?
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2011
    When trying to show texture try to get the light coming in from the side and going across the body. All the texutre will then tend to stand out.
    edited July 22, 2011
    The lighting in numbers 2 and 3: I think I was underpowered with two fluorescent bulbs and my on-camera bounced flash. The lights were placed on either side of her and the bounced flash off the white ceiling and a wall. I felt I might try for harder side lighting to create shadows on muscle contours, but my light was weak and soft. Made me wish for a couple of strobes on stands, along with a light behind her for a glow effect.
    Her result in the competition: she didn't win (she has in the past). this was the first competition since having a baby a couple of years ago. But she placed high, and best of all, she was aware that she achieved some important goals in getting back into it. My wife and I were so proud of her!!
    Thanks for looking and sharing your thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • jttphotojttphoto Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited July 23, 2011
    Awesome on her reaching personal goals. Comps are the most fun when you compete against yourself and try to do better than the last time.
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2011
    edited July 24, 2011
    Thanks for looking. Appreciate all the input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk