Father and Son

Alex81Alex81 Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
edited July 22, 2011 in People
A friend and his 1 month old son. Taken with Horizon Perfekt.

Seba-02B-L.jpg

Seba-01B-L.jpg

All comments welcome.

Comments

• HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2011
    You have a very basic problem here. Your meter is compensating for the bright window and under exposing the area you want to see. You can view the buildings in the window. If you expose for the man and child the window would blow out meaning totally white with no buildings. Funny thing about the brain, when you viewed this scene you clearly could see the buildings outside and the man and child very well. Your briain fills in the details it knows that should be there. Film/digital can't do that, you've got to pick one over the other.
  • Alex81Alex81 Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited July 22, 2011
    Hackbone wrote: »
    You have a very basic problem here. Your meter is compensating for the bright window and under exposing the area you want to see. You can view the buildings in the window. If you expose for the man and child the window would blow out meaning totally white with no buildings. Funny thing about the brain, when you viewed this scene you clearly could see the buildings outside and the man and child very well. Your briain fills in the details it knows that should be there. Film/digital can't do that, you've got to pick one over the other.

Thanks for the comments. At the moment I'm shooting "blind" just guessing the exposure, as my camera doesn't have a light meter and I don't have a digital camera to test exposures so with that in mind I'm pretty happy with the amount of shots I get well exposed or close to well exposed.
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2011
    That is tough, good luck. There is a "sunny 16" rule for photography for outside sunny conditions. Set your camera to F 16 and set your shutter speed to the ISO of your film and generally you will get OK shots. Not always foolproof however. Good luck.
    edited July 22, 2011
    Hackbone wrote: »
    That is tough, good luck. There is a "sunny 16" rule for photography for outside sunny conditions. Set your camera to F 16 and set your shutter speed to the ISO of your film and generally you will get OK shots. Not always foolproof however. Good luck.

I'm testing your "sunny 16" tomorrow, everything is worth a try while a put some money together for a digital camera.
  • jpcjpc Registered Users Posts: 840 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2011
    Flash would have solved the exposure issue. It looks like your camera has on-board flash, but bounced off the ceiling would have been ideal.
    edited July 22, 2011
    jpc wrote: »
    Flash would have solved the exposure issue. It looks like your camera has on-board flash, but bounced off the ceiling would have been ideal.

Flashes don't work with the Horizon, which I find it to be one of it's biggest flaws.

Because of the swindle lens mechanism a shot at 1/125 actually takes about 0.5 of a second to be completed. A flash during that exposure would become a bright horizontal strip somewhere in the photo.

I need to get my hands on reflectors and possibly some ABs.
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2011
    "Horizon Perfekt" - is this from the past or the future?:D

I like the silhouetting effect in the 1st, but the 2nd just looks like missed exposure to me.

Looking out the window, I wonder where you took this to get the hills I seem to see in pic 2, and also why it seems so smoggy outside. Melbourne city has neither.

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
    edited July 22, 2011
    NeilL wrote: »
    "Horizon Perfekt" - is this from the past or the future?:D

I like the silhouetting effect in the 1st, but the 2nd just looks like missed exposure to me.

Looking out the window, I wonder where you took this to get the hills I seem to see in pic 2, and also why it seems so smoggy outside. Melbourne city has neither.

Neil

Horizon Perfekt
    http://microsites.lomography.com/horizon/perfekt

As for the location, it was from a 22nd Floor, in Santiago Chile, which has plenty of mountains, and smog.
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2011
    Alex81 wrote: »
    Horizon Perfekt
    http://microsites.lomography.com/horizon/perfekt

As for the location, it was from a 22nd Floor, in Santiago Chile, which has plenty of mountains, and smog.

Wow that's science fiction, almost!:D

Good to get the location straight, wouldn't want any slanderous impressions!mwink.gifrofl

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix