Swimsuit Michelle

BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
edited June 19, 2012 in People
Also from the shoot with Michelle. Don't know how y'all are gonna react but she was killing my old bones.:rofl

Click the first image etc.

p336538564-4.jpg

p337119887-4.jpg

p48219452-4.jpg

p14348262-4.jpg

p199392839-4.jpg

p704862443-4.jpg
Bilsen (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
Canon 600D; Canon 1D Mk2;
24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio.com/
Everything Else: www.pbase.com/bilsen

Comments

• Alex81Alex81 Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited July 22, 2011
    Last one is my favourite, the only thing I could note is to be careful of black over black at the top of her head.

I feel #4 is the only one where she comes across as natural and comfortable. I understand that swimsuit shoots are awkward but it shouldn't come across.

#2 has a terrible posse, looks like what little girls do in front of the mirror when they pretend to be modelling.

I'm curious who chose the first swimsuit. I don't think it suited your model, she looks a lot better in the second swimsuit.
  • BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2011
    Alex81 wrote: »
    Last one is my favourite, the only thing I could note is to be careful of black over black at the top of her head.

I feel #4 is the only one where she comes across as natural and comfortable. I understand that swimsuit shoots are awkward but it shouldn't come across.

#2 has a terrible posse, looks like what little girls do in front of the mirror when they pretend to be modelling.

I'm curious who chose the first swimsuit. I don't think it suited your model, she looks a lot better in the second swimsuit.

Your a tough guy to please Alex rolleyes1.gif Please keep at it.thumb.gif

Interesting that you see a difference in her comfort level between 4 & 5. to my eye, they are almost identical and (hopefully) showing some of the playful personality that DivaMum found so lacking in the other thread.

Anyway, final wardrobe is always chosen by the model in my shoots. I look at face, hair and eyes when I consider a model to shoot. While I do make suggestions, everything else is pretty much up to her from bikini to trash bag.
    24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
  • TenThirteenTenThirteen Registered Users Posts: 488 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2011
    As a female, I wonder why she chose such small tops. I understand wanting to 'show extra skin' but when you aren't 'voluptious' on top it just looks ODD when you wear a top so small. As a female, that's just my opinion on the suits, but I do think it detracts from the photos a bit. Again, just my opinion... #1 would have to be my favorite pose, I agree the other ones look awkward and the BG's are distracting in all as well.
    Canon Fan
    edited July 22, 2011
    Thanks Ten.

Whew tough crowd in here.:D

Except that I agree about the pose in #2 I'm afraid I have to continue to like all of these. That's why posting stuff is fun.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2011
    John - I haven't had a chance to respond to your other thread again yet, which I will.

But small clarification: what I said there wasn't to imply that I'm hoping to see something specifically more "playful" (although that may sometimes be exactly that's wanted). I was referring more generally to something more engaged. More committed. More of a "dialogue" with the photgrapher (and thus viewer). More projected into the lens. More REAL. Yup, models are actresses after a fashion, although their expression is entirely through look and pose rather than having words, speech and interaction at their disposal. It's really hard (which is, presumably, why the good ones get the very big bucks!!! :D). When these lovely girls can master that - or you figure out how to get it from them no matter how inexperienced or unfcomfortable they may be - you'll have something really WOW going on.

I'll be a dissenting voice and say that i actually feel she looks MORE comfortable in the swimsuits than the Grunge Girl look of the other thread. #3 doesn't work for me - the expression is just too dead - but I like 4/5/6. Something is starting to happen there. I like her body lines in 1, as well, although I wish she was turning her left ankle with a slightly pointed toe to complete the line of her legs.

On a technical note, I think you can afford to be more aware of your backgrounds and/or shoot with wider apertures to minimise them as distractions - I see a lot of f4 and f5.6 as well as things like that swing set/climbing frame/chainlink fence, none of which keep my attention on the main subject.

I'll respond to the other thread when I get a chance thumb.gif
    edited July 22, 2011
    Thanks DivaMum

You're seeing f4 cause that's wide open on my 24-105 f4 L. Perhaps I should go to the 70-200 F4 and go longer on the tele to get the bokeh you're looking for.
  • divmedic4divmedic4 Registered Users Posts: 160 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2011
    Not a pro by any means but #6 is just stunning to me. Made me think sultry and predatory look.
    Canon 7D, Sigma 17-70, Sigma 70-200 2.8 OS, EF 50 1.8 II, 430EXII

Tom
  • eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2012
    With all else already said, my critique is on the reflection from the pool. In numbers 4, 5 and 6, her eyes are green. Pull back the green, blue and cyan sliders so that the natural color of her baby blues shows. Right now, she looks like she's under the influence of the "spice" from the desert planet, Arrakis.
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2012
    eL eSs Vee wrote: »
    With all else already said, my critique is on the reflection from the pool. In numbers 4, 5 and 6, her eyes are green. Pull back the green, blue and cyan sliders so that the natural color of her baby blues shows. Right now, she looks like she's under the influence of the "spice" from the desert planet, Arrakis.

You have a source for spice????

Sam
  • DeVermDeVerm Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2012
    Sam wrote: »
    You have a source for spice????

Sam

Of-course! book your trip to the planet Dune with the guild! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

(sorry, it's my favorite book :D )
    ciao!
    Nick.

my equipment: Canon 5D2, 7D, full list here
    my Smugmug site: here
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2012
    John, totally off topic but what are your thoughts on the 24_105. I've heard that outside it is slow to focus. I want to get one but have not heard enough good things about it.
    edited June 19, 2012
    Thanks Lee. I'll try that out.

Thanks everyone.

Hack, the 24-105 is my walkaround lens. I don't have any problem with the AF 95% of the time although I do find that things can get blurry in low contrast scenes. With that said, if I shoot the same shot 2 secs after the blurry, it will almost always be sharp so it's probably me.

My only real issue with the lens is that it's sometimes hard to get a really good bokeh. On my 1.6 crop there are times I just can't get long enough to blast out the BKG.

All in all I love this lens. Between that, my 70-200 f4 IS and the 50mm f1.4, I really didn't need the Tamron 28-75 f2.8 (which sits around a lot) and I'm not in the market for another lens. That should tell you something. I've heard that on a FF camera, it matches the 70-200 series but I can't vouch for that.
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2012
    Thanks for the review John.