Options

lens question from anonymous

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited October 16, 2005 in Cameras
anonymous wrote:
hey Andy I was wondering if you can give me some advice on a lense dilima. I need to find a lense for a Dig Reb that I can use in low light, pref. f/2.8, but I have to keep it a little on the low $ end so L's are out of the question. If you could point me in the right direction I would be happy- already went to ebay. Thanks alot (name withheld)

you don't say, prime or zoom, so i'm going assume, zoom. here are a couple, i don't have experience with them, but i know that folks here on dgrin do, and i'm sure people will chime in with their thoughts.

tammy 28-75

sigma 28-70

two other excellent, non-L choices are, imo, the canon 50mm f/1.4 and 85mm f/1.8. both under $300 and both outstanding values.

Comments

• Options
    morrisphotography2003morrisphotography2003 Registered Users Posts: 208 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2005
    i was looking at both of them but wasnt sure what way to go but i can get a better deal on the sigma so i think that i will go for it. Thank you for your input. Bob
    andy wrote:
    you don't say, prime or zoom, so i'm going assume, zoom. here are a couple, i don't have experience with them, but i know that folks here on dgrin do, and i'm sure people will chime in with their thoughts.

tammy 28-75

sigma 28-70

two other excellent, non-L choices are, imo, the canon 50mm f/1.4 and 85mm f/1.8. both under $300 and both outstanding values.
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2005
    I second the 50 and 85 suggestions. The 50 might probably be best in using your feet to adjust the FOV.

I had the Tamron. It's a good lens. My issue was that it focus hunted more than I liked in low light.
  • Options
    HeldDownHeldDown Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2005
    I'm going to throw my hat in for the Canon 50mm 1.8 Mark II. I paid $100 Canadian, and it was the best money I ever spent. I think everyone needs to own this lens.
    imageNATION
    SEEING THE WORLD IN A WHOLE NEW LIGHT...
    http://www.imag-e-nation.net
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2005
    HeldDown wrote:
    I'm going to throw my hat in for the Canon 50mm 1.8 Mark II. I paid $100 Canadian, and it was the best money I ever spent. I think everyone needs to own this lens.

I gotta agree. I keep saying to myself "I paid USD$75 for this lens...WOW!"
  • Options
    jmathewjmathew Registered Users Posts: 75 Big grins
    edited October 11, 2005
    lens
    colourbox wrote:
    I gotta agree. I keep saying to myself "I paid USD$75 for this lens...WOW!"

I keep saying "why did I sell it?"

I'm going to end up buying it again I know. Its a fantastic lens esp. for the money.

I've got the Tamron as well and LOVE it. Its become my walkaround lens.
    Jefy Mathew
  • Options
    tom etom e Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited October 11, 2005
    Sigma 30mm 1.4 is very nice on this camera.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2005
    tom e wrote:
    Sigma 30mm 1.4 is very nice on this camera.

yes, that lens really looks like a winner. and, on a 1.6x body, mmm mmm that's tasty :D
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited October 11, 2005
    andy wrote:

tammy 28-75

sigma 28-70

I can also highly rec the Canon 50mm f1.8 and the 85mm f1.8 and the Tamron 28-75 f2.8 Di - all are excellent optics. I have useds all three for many images I have posted here on dgrin.

The primes are slightly sharper than the zoom, as would be expected. But I have lovely 13x19 in prints made with the Tamron 28-75 f2.8 Di lens and a Canon 10D body.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,919 moderator
    edited October 11, 2005
    Andy mentioned the 50 to me and I think it's a real winner as is the 85.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    mojonesmojones Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited October 12, 2005
    Another prime suggestion; I love the canon 28 f2.8 on my Digital Rebel (~45mm in full-frame terms). Only very slightly bigger and heavier than the 50 f1.8 and I really like the field of view - the 50mm seems too tight a crop for general use (IMO). About £160 new in the UK.
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2005
    50mm f/1.8. All $70 worth of it.

Cheap as chips
  • Options
    ChaseChase Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2005
    50mm f1.8. But I also love my sigma 24-70 f2.8.

My 85 f1.8 is coming in the mail as soon as dell ships it (got it for 292 though, might have to wait until the end of october to get it.) I have high hopes.:Dthumb.gif
    www.chase.smugmug.com
    I just press the button and the camera goes CLICK. :dunno
    Canon: gripped 20d and 30d, 10-22 3.5-4.5, 17-55 IS, 50mm f1.8, 70-200L IS, 85mm f1.8, 420ex
    sigma: 10-20 4-5.6 (for sale), 24-70 2.8 (for sale), 120-300 2.8
  • Options
    SnapHappySnapHappy Registered Users Posts: 328 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2005
    Chase wrote:
    50mm f1.8. But I also love my sigma 24-70 f2.8.

My 85 f1.8 is coming in the mail as soon as dell ships it (got it for 292 though, might have to wait until the end of october to get it.) I have high hopes.:Dthumb.gif

Got the 24-70 as my first lens and still is. Too inexperienced to offer any real image opinion but have to say the zoom makes a lot of noise and it's fairly heavy but apart from that I'm happy with it so far, good value. :D
    Would also add the only real disappointment with this purchase is the 'macro' label, not what I would expect of 'macro' but again I am fairly new to it all but I've come to understand that the term is loosely used in marketing.
    A slightly pessimistic view but I'm happy with it. :D

Reading this thread is only re-confirming my next choice of glass to be the 50mm f/1.8.
  • Options
    ChaseChase Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2005
    SnapHappy wrote:
    Got the 24-70 as my first lens and still is. Too inexperienced to offer any real image opinion but have to say the zoom makes a lot of noise and it's fairly heavy but apart from that I'm happy with it so far, good value. :D
    Would also add the only real disappointment with this purchase is the 'macro' label, not what I would expect of 'macro' but again I am fairly new to it all but I've come to understand that the term is loosely used in marketing.
    A slightly pessimistic view but I'm happy with it. :D

Reading this thread is only re-confirming my next choice of glass to be the 50mm f/1.8.
    The AF is a bit buzzy, but it is a pretty nice "close focus" lens, though not near a true macro.

50mm f1.8 is a no brainer. It is pretty handy to throw in the bag for unknown lighting conditions, cause you will be in good shape 90% of the time with it(and a flash solves the rest). It also takes up practically no space and weight. I got mine for 65 dollars to boot. :D
    www.chase.smugmug.com
    I just press the button and the camera goes CLICK. :dunno
    Canon: gripped 20d and 30d, 10-22 3.5-4.5, 17-55 IS, 50mm f1.8, 70-200L IS, 85mm f1.8, 420ex
    sigma: 10-20 4-5.6 (for sale), 24-70 2.8 (for sale), 120-300 2.8