Options

Moose and Calf

Dennis KaczorDennis Kaczor Registered Users Posts: 2,413 Major grins
edited July 26, 2011 in Wildlife
Was on a camping trip and we had a great time and spotted some moose. The bonus was when the mother and calf were out, mom was hungry and the baby was not happy with being in the open and spooked when a car door shut and mom paid no attention as she was drinking the salt water in the ditch.

5964765496_d517efe614_o.jpg

5965049544_fd10369735_o.jpg

5964535967_766f488844_o.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Wicked_DarkWicked_Dark Registered Users Posts: 1,138 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2011
    well those made me smile. the baby looks about to wig. such a great color on it, too. so different in attitude from the 'rents. I guess that kind of nonchalance takes time to learn.
  • Options
    LindiweLindiwe Registered Users Posts: 606 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2011
    Awesome captures!
    That baby moose looks terrified!
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2011
    well those made me smile. the baby looks about to wig. such a great color on it, too. so different in attitude from the 'rents. I guess that kind of nonchalance takes time to learn.

Thanks very much for your comments on these images, they sure are fun to see and watch and the baby was just priceless and wanted no part in being there. Glad that these made you smile.
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2011
    Lindiwe wrote: »
    Awesome captures!
    That baby moose looks terrified!

Thanks Lindiwe for the comments and yes that baby was sure not pleased by being there at all. Was fun watching that little one.
  • Options
    PGMPGM Registered Users Posts: 2,007 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2011
    Dennis, I love the first one--rich color, great pose. It feels like I could reach out and touch that moose! Best, Pam
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2011
    PGM wrote: »
    Dennis, I love the first one--rich color, great pose. It feels like I could reach out and touch that moose! Best, Pam

Thanks Pam and I like that image as well, and they were ony 30 feet away so you could almost touch them.
  • Options
    ashruggedashrugged Registered Users Posts: 345 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2011
    Nice Dennis. do wild Moose usually let people get this close?
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2011
    ashrugged wrote: »
    Nice Dennis. do wild Moose usually let people get this close?

Robert in Algonquin Park along Hwy#60 they are sort of used to the cars stopping and getting out for a good look. As long as you don't disturb what they are doing at the time means that you are not too close and they are not concerned about you. But you cross that line, they will charge at you for sure and I always watch them as you never know and I have the car right behind me for cover.

If it's rut season for the bull moose it is best to stay a lot further away as they are more unpredictable at that time of the year.

Thanks for your comments.
  • Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2011
    Very nice to be able to get the whole family, Dennis! thumb.gifclap
  • Options
    edited July 25, 2011
    Ric Grupe wrote: »
    Very nice to be able to get the whole family, Dennis! thumb.gifclap

Thanks Ric, yes it was sure nice to see this, and made the trip worth it.
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2011
    Outstanding captures Dennis. Have you tried to lower the highlights on the BG?
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    edited July 26, 2011
    Harryb wrote: »
    Outstanding captures Dennis. Have you tried to lower the highlights on the BG?

Thanks Harry for the comments, and yes I have toned the BG down on them much better than what I had posted on here. Thanks again.