Options

Nesting Eastern Phoebe (long)

SSSSSS Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
edited August 2, 2011 in Wildlife
My wife and I had decided that we would strip and sand our cabin this year during vacation. When we started our prep work we found that a bird had nested on one of our downspouts, #$%t. We couldn't bear to just destroy the nest but at the same time we were sure if we moved it the nestlings were doomed. We decided to try to move the entire downspout to the barn about 100 yards away. I carefully removed the downspout (which was riveted instead of screwed, of course) and moved it about 6 feet away to see if the parents would find it. Even though they could see it they continued to return to it's previous location. We tried this several times and finally leaned it back up against the chiminey inches from it's original location. The parents then resumed feeding.

against-chiminee-M.jpg

That night we had a pretty good thunder storm and thought for sure the wind had taken down the unsecured downspout. In the morning we found the downspout where we had left it but were terrified to find we had placed the nest directly below the the now open gutter drain. Surely they drowned. I got out the ladder and was suprised to find they had made it through the storm.

not-yet-cute-2-M.jpg

We finally decided to seperated the S-bend that the nest was built on and attach to a shorter piece of downspout secured to an old step ladder. We could move the step ladder slowly away from the original location to the relative protection of some pine trees 20ft away. It took a few hours, we would only move it farther once the parents had resumed feeding at the new spot, I'm sure they were not very happy with us.

feeding-1-M.jpg

I wish I had thought to document the entire process but we were more focused on the cabin and getting past this distraction. But by now we were getting more than a little attached them so I set up the tripod at a window with a good vantage point.

shooting-position-M.jpg

For the next week I was rewarded with ample photo ops of our new friends.

ouch-M.jpg

chicks-M.jpg
complaining-M.jpg

When our week was up we went back to work but could not help but wonder if the birds would be there when we returned. While gone I was able to identify them as Eatern Phoebes and learned that they fledge in 14-17 days. If the chicks were only a day or so old when we moved them they might fledge the next weekend while we're there. When we returned they were still there and boy had they grown!

getting-big-M.jpg

The showed off their wings some on Saturday but the action didn't start till Sunday. When they started getting adventurous.

getting-ready-M.jpg

Mom was constantly flying back and forth to a nearby branch calling the entire time. We missed the first one leaving while we were staining, but we caught the second one.
first-attempt-M.jpg

The two sat nearby while Mom worked on the last.

2-down-M.jpg

The last one was very reluctant and didn't leave for a few hours after the others. Mom fed and coached the whole time until finally the last one got up the courage to go.

finally-M.jpg

The end.

the-end-M.jpg

I hope you enjoyed this little family as much as we did. We were quite pleased that we were able to help them along especially considering the altrnative. My wife asked that I make a deep picture frame foro teh nest and some of the photos to go in the cabin. I'll post pics when I finalyl get some shop time.

Thanks for looking,

Steve

Comments

• Options
    LindiweLindiwe Registered Users Posts: 606 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2011
    Awesome story and pictures!
    So glad that the rescue had a happy ending. Thanks so much for sharing!
  • Options
    peargrinpeargrin Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2011
    What a beautiful story, and beautiful photos to go with it! Well done! Cheers, pear
  • Options
    kathiemtkathiemt Registered Users Posts: 226 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2011
    wow! what a privilege to witness. How blessed you were. And thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    PGMPGM Registered Users Posts: 2,007 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2011
    I love those little open mouths! How adorable. Best, Pam
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2011
    Thanks everyone for the comments.

Interesting how my thoughts started out something like "I hope we can save them." and have turned to I wish we hadn't had to disturb them. If we "saved" them it was only ourselves that we saved them from. Maybe two weeks of sniffing log cabin stain has turned me sappy.

Anyway, we were indeed very fortunate to witness their raising. Next year we'll all be wondering when we spy another nest if that bird is one of the one's we got to watch.

Steve
  • Options
    fool4thecityfool4thecity Registered Users Posts: 632 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2011
    Very cool story and shots. Good luck on finding another nest next year. If you do, hope you share them with us, again!
  • Options
    rocky07rocky07 Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited August 1, 2011
    Once in a lifetime you get this whole set of pics WELL DONE:)
  • Options
    spechtalspechtal Registered Users Posts: 344 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2011
    great story and excellent images.
    Angela
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2011
    Thanks guys.

As I look around there are remanants of similiar nests on many of the protected ledges around the yard, several gutters and the tops of the posts that support the deck of my porch. I think the chances are good we'll some action next year. But I agree that we were very lucky that we could see this start to finish.

Steve