Options

Fuji FinePix HS20

PedalGirlPedalGirl Registered Users Posts: 794 Major grins
edited March 1, 2012 in Cameras
Any one have any experience with the FinePix HS20? I'm considering purchasing this camera as a step up from my Canon S5 IS.
Pho-tog-ra-pher (n) 1. One who practices photography 2. one obsessed with capturing life with their camera. 3. One who eats, sleeps and breathes photographs. 4. One who sees the world in 4x6.
www.lisaspeakmanphotography.com

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,918 moderator
    edited July 24, 2011
    My impression is that both cameras have their weak points and strengths. Viewed separately I suppose that the Fujifilm FinePix HS20EXR has more intrinsic features and capabilities, but it's a much more difficult camera to master than the Canon PowerShot S5 IS.

I would greatly prefer the PowerShot S5 IS for social situations if you add an external flash and flash modifier. That ability to add controllable light is a wonderful way to improve image quality.

The FinePix HS20EXR is what I would prefer for all sorts of landscapes, nature, wildlife and some sports photography. The combination of a decent super-zoom with a very wide 24mm equivalence plus the long end should work nicely to around 200mm equivalence. (Much longer than this and you really need a tripod as well.)

The different shooting modes of the FinePix HS20EXR definitely lend to the flexibility of the camera, but you need to be selective in order to achieve the best this camera has to offer. (I am a fan of the FinePix EXR cameras and I did purchase a F300EXR for my daughter. I wish she would let me try it out. :D)

If you intend to keep the PowerShot S5 IS I do think that the FinePix HS20EXR is complementary and would give you some serious shooting capabilities.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    PedalGirlPedalGirl Registered Users Posts: 794 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2011
    Thanks for the input. I went ahead and ordered the Fuji online last night. Will be keeping the canon as well... can never have too many cameras. Was looking for something to give me more range and really want to try shooting in RAW which the Fuji will do. I do a lot of landscape photography, so I'm excited to see what the wider angle does for my photos!
    Pho-tog-ra-pher (n) 1. One who practices photography 2. one obsessed with capturing life with their camera. 3. One who eats, sleeps and breathes photographs. 4. One who sees the world in 4x6.
    www.lisaspeakmanphotography.com
  • Options
    GraphyFotozGraphyFotoz Registered Users Posts: 2,267 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2012
    I traded up for the HS20 and sold my Canon SX20.
    SX20 seamed to be fussy about sharp focus and I had to futz with my pics in PP.
    I haven't had time to play with my HS20 much but it seems to have the same problem.
    I'm sure it's a setting I have wrong....like maybe continuous focus being off.
    Love it's features and can't wait for the weather to get nicer so I can play!! :D
    Canon 60D | Nikon Cooloix P7700
    Manfrotto Mono | Bag- LowePro Slingshot 100AW

http://www.graphyfotoz.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,918 moderator
    edited March 1, 2012
    ... SX20 seamed to be fussy about sharp focus and I had to futz with my pics in PP.
    I haven't had time to play with my HS20 much but it seems to have the same problem.

Most digicams, and the Fujifilm FinePix HS20EXR is what I would term an "advanced digicam", struggle to autofocus (AF) in low light and low contrast lighting, like you find in many indoor and dark outdoor social situations.

Unfortunately, there are no "settings" that will change that situation as it is a function of the camera's autofocus capabilities. You can "improve" the situation by adding a "focus assist" light. A focus assist light projects a pattern, usually in red light, which aids the camera's AF section by providing increased illumination "and" by providing the pattern, which gives the camera's AF something with definition upon which to latch. Aiming the AF at an eye will also help find focus on a face.

I don't believe that you'll find a ready-made focus assist light for that camera, but I had some luck using a small "red LED" flashlight with a patterned lens in front. The patterned lens was from a laser pointer kit, but I don't recommend using a laser pointer for the task. That combination of red LED light and patterned lens gave me some desirable results with digicam AF and P&S AF.

Ultimately, it was a little clumsy in use, because I had to activate the LED light before the camera's AF, and then let up on the LED light for the image itself. I finally just started using a dSLR with an external flash, and the external flash has an automated AF assist beam, simplifying the whole process.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums