Options

Smugmug falling behind in mobile space

2»

Comments

• Options
    OppsOpps Registered Users Posts: 160 Major grins
    edited February 29, 2012
    It's of course a bit early to say since I barely have had the time to use Awesomizer but so far it looks to be one of the best camera apps around. I think it becomes a bit expensive if you want all filtering plugins, but it makes sharing WAY easier if you want to use Smugmug as the place where your photos live.

From what I've seen so far, I'm pretty sure that I'm going to start to use Smugmug as the place for "social sharing".

I don't know personally if I would use Smugmug for blogging, I prefer to use my own installation of WordPress for that but I would love to see easy insertion of photos in WP blogs from a mobile app like Awesomizer (time for a feature suggestion :) ).

That said, I also think that Smugmug could need a mobile browser app like FlickrStackr or 500px app (especially one for the iPad).

But Awesomizer is a really nice app for capturing and sharing photos from an iPhone.
    --
    Jan Erik Moström
  • Options
    doug bdoug b Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited February 29, 2012
    Andy wrote: »
    Concurrent development, totally different team working on the new iPad and iPhone browsing apps. We're NOT OK with where our browsing apps are right now, and we're NOT ignoring this and we hope soon you'll see some really cool improvements!

Have you tried Camera Awesome? Give it a go :)

I have an Android phone, but did download it for the iPad. Haven't tested it for too long, so can't really give it an evaluation just yet. However, with first impressions being important, it looks pretty good, but can't really say that the filters are all that original. Plus, from looking at all of the demo ones, I'd say that a ton of them are over cooked, and very similar looking, right down to the frames.

Tell ya what though, interestingly enough, the application does (from what I've tried thus far with iCloud's Photostream) seem to do a good job of what I'd like to see the official SM browsing/uploading application do. So it would seem that if you guys thought this app through, then some of the features could be ported over to that app, whenever it begins its journey.

Not sure if I'll get an iPhone when my contract is up, but I can see the benefits of having this app on it. The one camera feature that is very nice is exposure lock. I'm wondering if it's possible to also tap into the ISO settings and change it manually? That would be very nice. I'm very used to this with a lot of Android camera apps. The best one being Vignette, IMO. That app utilizes some very nice and not overdone looking filters. Some look quite natural, such as the illford one and some B&W filters. Anyway, I'm babbling now.

Oh, one bit of feedback... The settings for the "awesomizer" button (contrast, sharpness, temp) really don't seem to do very much, even with the main slider set all the way up. In fact, bumping contrast up, seems to increase brightness of the photo from what I've seen, moreso than the actual contrast of the overall pic.

I'll continue to try and evaluate it as much as possible with my limited iPad functionality. Then of course I'll have co-workers download it with their iPhones and mess with it there.

Anyway, this still doesn't address my concerns for an integrated blog, but I guess this is the wrong forum for that.

Doug
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2012
    @doug b, thanks for the detailed first impression! I've passed your suggestions on.
    In regards to an Android version, see this tweet.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    javierplumeyjavierplumey Registered Users Posts: 131 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2012
    I'm really jealous of the Zenfolio iPad app. Smugmug's still crashes and is useless. What's the word? When are we finally going to get an update?
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited March 13, 2012
    I'm really jealous of the Zenfolio iPad app. Smugmug's still crashes and is useless. What's the word? When are we finally going to get an update?
    We're fairly far along with a next rev. Don't have a date, sorry, wish we did.
  • Options
    eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2012
    Have to chime in and say that I am also frustrated with Smugmug's mobile implementation (or severe lack thereof). I'm not talking about apps but just being able to view the site on an iPhone or iPad in a seamless fashion. I don't want to zoom in just to click on a minuscule little arrow to go to the next photo.

It's gotten to the point where I have decided to relegate Smugmug to sharing pix of kids (and lock it down with a site wide password) and move my landscape work to a Wordpress powered site.

With Smugmug's history of being well ahead of the curve over the past few years (especially the early video work), it is disappointing to see how far they have fallen behind now with video (especially mobile implementation), a smooth mobile interface for all devices and social integration (don't get me started on FB links...). If I didn't have such a long history with Smugmug, I would seriously consider moving to another option at this point. I've seen some incredibly slick work/effects on sites powered by Zenfolio as just one example.
  • Options
    eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2012
    Just got off two chat sessions with support as I could not see any categories on my mobile site. It seemed that turning off the site wide password would fix it but then it became clear that the mobile site does not work for any passworded galleries! Unbelievable that you guys can't fix this... It was bad enough that keyword searches didn't work with password protected galleries but this is just dumb.

Please give us some hint at what is coming (and hopefully it involves fixes for the password issue). Just saying there is a 'next rev' coming is just not enough. At this point, I can no longer recommend Smugmug to friends who ask about a photo hosting solution...
  • Options
    KarlMarshKarlMarsh Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited March 27, 2012
    Hi Andy and Baldy. Long time happy smugmug user here. I recently switched from Android to IOS and do miss smugfollio. That being said Camera Awesome is excelellent and is now my full time camera on my 4s. I am also pretty happy with SmugWallet. On my 3rd gen ipad I do not experience any of the crashing or issues that others have reported with the Smugmug app. Am I just lucky? My reason for writing is that I am hoping that the ipad app update will include support for retina size files. Will this be the case? Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    shgshg Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited April 20, 2012
    The absence of upload functionality in the Smugmug iPad app is almost comedically funny.
  • Options
    athosathos Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2013
    from January 2012
    athos wrote: »
    for Android users the Smugfolio app is far better than the official app. very fast, lots of features, including batch upload. create galleries. etc..

maybe smugmug could just buy that app.

indeed. only took a year and a half but somebody figured it out :D
    www.simplyathos.com

Gear
    *Canon 40D: 17-55IS - 70-300IS - 100mm Macro - Sigma 10-20EX
    *Imagination