The shrimper/boat people

ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
edited October 12, 2005 in People
39672349-L.jpg

Taking a break, hanging around. They are having fun together, I am trying to sneak their photo. Playing paparazzo.

I decided I was going to have to face this problem "head" on and "face" to face. I walked up with my camera, two men ran away immediately. Two stayed and were nice about it. Got a couple more, too.

39672357-L.jpg

39672372-L.jpg

The man below didn't want his photo taken, said he wasn't a shrimper, he is a lung cancer survivor.

39672341-L.jpg

This guy was just coming in, he was super nice, I didn't get a portrait/snapshot. Should have, I was still "shy", and he was busy.

39611640-L.jpg

39670831-L.jpg

You all might recognize this man, I love this photo. He is the dirty old man who was working on his sailboat. He is going to have one nice boat!

39670799-L.jpg

Now that is a happy man!

ginger, enjoy, comment........please. I had a great day, and the funny thing is that it was cloudy most of the day, but I ignored that.
After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.

Comments

• rahmonsterrahmonster Registered Users Posts: 1,376 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2005
    Lovely shots Ginger. I especially like the lung cancer survivor, and the last one. Fabulousclap.gif
    www.tmitchell.smugmug.com

Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life...Picasso
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2005
    This is a superb haunting shot:

39672372-S.jpg

I'd like to see the shadows around the eyes open a bit in this shot, and especially in the lung cancer survivor. I have some new theories about how to do this based on Ch 16 of the LAB book (I skipped ahead.) If you email me the raw version of that shot, I'll give it a try.

I'm going to find you some gilt frames with angels. Why go half way?
    If not now, when?
  • gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2005
    Wonderful shot ginger!! The composition is excellent, the background puts him in context as well as adding to the picture!!thumb.gif

39672372-S.jpg
  • Phil U.Phil U. Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2005
    gubbs wrote:
    Wonderful shot ginger!! The composition is excellent, the background puts him in context as well as adding to the picture!!thumb.gif

39672372-S.jpg

15524779-Ti.gif That one stood out for me as well. I echo Gubbs' comments. thumb.gifthumb.gif
  • PossumCornerPossumCorner Registered Users Posts: 290 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2005
    Ginger these are just great and I am so glad it is working out with them fairly okay now. For me I like, I think it is No. 4, because of his fun t-shirt. If they have a sense of humour they are okay. Two things: try and get permission to get on board, take some close-ups of the gear and the boat stuff, it all looks interesting and begging for some attention: second, when I last looked at the Photo Association thread on Wide-Angle it was a fishing theme, one of these should be there if not already. I'll now go back and look again, you've probably beaten me to it.

(In 1968 I worked in a trawler town, Carnarvon in Western Australia. The crews there were a hoot: if the fleet came in around midnight, no worries, straight up to the hotel dance and onto the floor, gum-boots and all. Definitely a sub-culture population at the time).
  • ehughesehughes Registered Users Posts: 1,675 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2005
    Great set of shots Ginger... thumb.gif

Ed
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2005
    You know what, I forgot to put one photo up, gotta do that. It is kind of a snapshot, but as my husband said, it is a "good one". The guy was nice enough to pose for it, he wanted to hold his fish, a red drum. That is why I call it a snapshot. And he was a bit backlit, it was kind of a trial to work up, so then I forgot him.

I asked him about the individuals who can fish for shrimp now with cast nets. He told me where to see them go out, but he did say that maybe one would take me.

I think the mt pleasant shrimpers have gotten too big and inbred to be "pleasant", but these guys were wonderful. Of course good will and tourists goes a long way in this part of the world. Usually. This is still very much small town.

I hadn't looked at the photo assoc thing lately, feel stupid re that.

ginger
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2005
    I tthought you needed help with this framing thing. Why go only 1/2 way?

39751687-L.jpg
    If not now, when?
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2005
    hahahaha, rutt, only he has a partially silver tooth, if I had been choosing that frame, I would have looked for a large silver one.

gingerthumb.gif