What are your thoughts?

SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
edited July 27, 2011 in The Big Picture
I found the following post on a local craigslist:

"Hello! I am a wedding photographer looking for a second shooter. Please read entire post before responding :)

You are:
*female (sorry fellas)"

Snipped the rest.

I wonder what the results would be if I posted for a second shooter and said only men need apply? No woman will be considered.

Please note: I ain't politically correct and don't give a rats ham sandwich, but it does seem like there are multiple acceptance levels and interpretations of laws and policies.

Sam :D

Comments

• SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2011
    48 people without any opinions? I hope y'all have a designated driver. :D

Sam
  • CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2011
    I dare you to try posting a job offer for men only, Sam. I give it less than 3 hours before you get a letter from a lawyer! If you're feeling particularly litigious, or even a little bored, I say go ahead and apply for the job! :D
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • cab.in.bostoncab.in.boston Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2011
    My personal opinion is that every (private) employer has every right to put whatever qualifications they choose on any job they offer.

There may be a reason this person wants a female, for instance perhaps the 2nd shooter will be doing the "bride getting dressed" photos and the bride doesn't want a male in that role.

However, I certainly understand your larger point and agree that if the gender was reversed (or age/ethnicity/religion/etc was specified), there would likely be (more of) an outcry. But I would still contend that the employer is absolutely entitled to hire anyone based on whatever criteria they choose, and for whatever reason they want. They're just asking for a PR issue by specifying their criteria right there on the CL listing. They'd be better off, PR-wise, by accepting whatever applications came their way and then just making their choice based on their criteria without announcing that "you didn't get the job b/c you're a dude."
    Father, husband, dog lover, engineer, Nikon shooter
    My site 365 Project
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2011
    Sam wrote: »
    48 people without any opinions? I hope y'all have a designated driver. :D

Sam

okay. Yeah, I have an opinion..You sound totally bored!
    tom wise
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2011
    I only use young girls for second shooters. Not to shoot the girls but to shoot the guys.
    Guys have a much different energy level when a cute girl is shooting them.
  • basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2011
    in my country it is not allowed
    it falls officially under discrimination-law
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2011
    I would be offended but there's this little problem with that. I like many males of my generation never voiced a complaint for many years when women faced much wider and more pervasive discrimination in the job market. If I didn't get upset then by that much larger issue its kind if silly to get up tight about one ad on craigslist now.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2011
    I am not uptight about it.....I have absolutely no intentions of perusing this. I use it only as an example of how there are multiple acceptance levels depending on which group is being restricted.

And yes I was bored that day. :D

Sam