Need Advice Quickly on second shooter rights

2»

Comments

• GlortGlort Registered Users Posts: 1,015 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2011
    Like I said, if the OP has all the legal rights then she can go ahead and do what she pleases.

Hope she comes back to tell us what the final upshot is.
  • Candid MugCandid Mug Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited July 30, 2011

One thing you may want to check into, and I don't think anyone has mentioned yet, is to actually speak to the people running the bridal expo. They don't have to let everyone in, and if the coordinators were tight with this other photographer that could be a problem. Legal technicalities don't really matter to them. Then again, if you're paying a hefty registration fee to be there, they may just overlook the matter; money talks. But you don't want to go along your merry way planning things only to find out, a few days before the expo, that you're no longer welcome because of this disagreement. It pays to be proactive and prepared.

Best of luck,
    - Brian

Very good point and good advice. I will certainly look into this and make sure I don't run into problems. Though I have already decided not ti use second shooter photos for the show at this point; it's not worth the conflict.
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2011
    Candid Mug wrote: »
    Very good point and good advice. I will certainly look into this and make sure I don't run into problems. Though I have already decided not ti use second shooter photos for the show at this point; it's not worth the conflict.

What ever you decide is fine, but I do recommend you keep the issue as much as possible between you and the photographer.

No need to go ask a vendor anything. You signed up for the show they cashed your check. What more is there to say?

Hold your head high and go about your business.

sam
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited July 31, 2011
    There was some mention of a letter requested by the studio saying something about using photos against their will. I wouldn't honor the request to send them anything that could be construed as a contract or an amendment to an existing contract.

I have to say, it sounds like it's time to cut the cord and move on (politely). And if it turns out the studio you worked for decides to try and sully your reputation, so be it. You have the law on your side if that's the choice they make. It's also true that should they decide to pursue that line, it will most likely backfire.

Good luck.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited August 1, 2011
    Ties are cut and I am quite relieved...I do one more wedding for them, because the couple were counting on me and that's it. Unprofessional, inconsistent and contradictory; not a way to run a business or deal with people. I am moving on. They may have already sullied my name, since they mentioned discussing the issue with several photographers the other day to get their input. I have kept their names out of any discussions I have had and will continue to do so. I am confident that I will be able to do the bridal show without the other photos and have already have volunteers to stage a photo shoot.

I will update after the show to let those that are interested know how the show went!
    edited August 1, 2011
    Good on you for following through on your commitments and all the best to you as you go forward in your career!
    edited October 4, 2011
    For anyone interested in an update...
    Hello all!

As promised, I am just updating anyone interested on how things have progressed. The Bridal Show went very well! I was able to design new albums, and deck out an entire display with my own lead shooter photos. I got a lot of compliments on my display and my albums! A few weeks prior to the show, I was also asked to be the event photographer, which turned out to be a great experience and allowed me to get to know other vendors and gave me a lot of exposure to brides. I have been getting lots of inquiries and client meetings and have been booking weddings into next fall.

As for the other photographers; he was very supportive at the show and loved my display, but she didn’t even come over to see it. I have been talking with them still and was asked to come back and second shoot for them. I have agreed to do another wedding this month, but I am not holding my breath for this to be a viable ongoing arrangement. Right now I just need to recoup some expenses from the huge cost of the bridal show. thumb.gif

It was great to get such amazing feedback from brides, show personnel, other vendors and even other photographers! I am excited for the next bridal show and will have a lot more to display by then!
    edited October 5, 2011
    I'm glad things worked out well for you thumb.gif

Here's to future leads from the show.