Options

I need advice on sharpening with elements 9

ZetZet Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
edited August 8, 2011 in Finishing School
Hi,

I just got my vacation pictures back and they look "grainy". I think it is from sharpening...??? I sharpened them because I wanted them to look "crisp". Do you have any advice on when I should sharpen photos and when not to?

Here is one that looks very bad. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    edited July 25, 2011
    hhhmmmm....it doesn't look as bad on the computer as it does in print. Maybe it is a problem at CVS.
  • Options
    PeanoPeano Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2011
    Zet wrote: »
    hhhmmmm....it doesn't look as bad on the computer as it does in print. Maybe it is a problem at CVS.

If you're printing at CVS (or Walgreens or anything of the sort), you've found your first problem. Get thee to a pro lab -- White House Custom Color or ProDPI.
  • Options
    edited July 25, 2011
    I've usually had pretty good luck at CVS. For special photos I go to a professional lab. That is expensive for a bunch of photos from vacation. I'm going to re-print some of the ones that look bad and ask CVS for my money back if it is a problem on their side.

So, advice on sharpening? Ok to sharpen all photos?
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2011
    Zet wrote: »
    So, advice on sharpening? Ok to sharpen all photos?

In a sense, all photos need to be sharpened, so that's not the question. The real question is how much, and using what technique. You can look around the web or on this forum for articles on how to use the Unsharp Mask or Smart Sharpen features in Photoshop, adjusting for the type of content. When you get good at it you'll gain an understanding of how there is not one-size-fits-all in terms of settings, but to know when certain sliders need to be turned up or down. You'd need to use a different approach for a landscape than for a woman's face, for example.
  • Options
    OhiohikerOhiohiker Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2011
    Couple of things that might help. Sharpen for the size you are printing. If you are printing for a 4x6 at 300dpi, resize the image to 1200x1800 and then sharpen. If you try to sharpen at the wrong size and the lab has to resize after you sharpen you can get oversharpened results. When sharpening zoom into an area with high contrast and adjust your sharpening till halos appear and the back off a little bit. This will help keep your images from appearing oversharpened.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    KnoxvilleRobKnoxvilleRob Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited August 7, 2011
    I always have fun taking a look at how some pics look with a small tweak from the High Pass filter. I usually do about 3.0 to 4.5 on some to see if that makes em sparkle. Then I run some actions on them to see what works best.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited August 8, 2011