Help!!1 Bent CF slot pin on a D300

FLYING EYEBALLFLYING EYEBALL Registered Users Posts: 183 Major grins
edited July 27, 2011 in Cameras
One of the center pins is bent and the camera stops functioning as soon as a card meets the pins.

What have you used to bend it back?

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited July 25, 2011
    One of the center pins is bent and the camera stops functioning as soon as a card meets the pins.

What have you used to bend it back?

You really need to get the camera serviced. Even if you could get something in the card bay to straighten the pin, it has been weakened and you could probably not be able to get it straight enough to prevent re-bending almost immediately.

It's not a cheap repair but it is worth it to have it repaired, IMO.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2011
    Are you a hobbyist who doesn't ever plan on taking a truly IMPORTANT photo for the life of the camera? Needle-nose pliers.

Are you a professional? NIKON SERVICE CENTER.

;-)

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2011
    Needle-nose pliers.

Depends on how far over the pin has been bent / flattened - but highly unlikely to work (imo) unless you've got a pair that are different / longer / thinner from any I've seen/used - and I've got some superb Lindstrom pcb / electronic (use) ones.

Not a task for the faint hearted or clumsy, imo.
    If my experience is anything to go by, you'll need several hands, decent light + mag glass / good eyesight etc :)

Like an idiot (I have certs to prove it) I managed to bend a couple of pins on a new (to me) 1dm3 after only about a week - I reckon a few new words were invented that day :)

(Winter, cold hands, rush to change cards + small bit of grit on card? + large dose of stupidity)

Whilst the cam worked fine (on sd) I wanted to sort pin issue for obvious reasons - knowing that even if I broke them I still had the sd option.

I worked out the pin dia and pitch and used 2 tools.

One was a dental probe, suitably ground to be thin enough to go between the surrounding pins and be placed under the end of the bent pins to lift them up enough to use the second tool.

Second was a straight piece of steel wire, appropriate dia, drilled though about 0.6 / 0.8mm (pin clearance dia) To create a 'tube' which could be pushed over the pin to bring it upright.

I did all of this with the cam mounted on a heavy tripod / ball head to allow easy positioning etc.

Can't remember the exact dimensions / sizes now as I did this about 18months ago (but still have the tools) - but seem to remember the pin pitch being about 1.25mm / 50 thou (approx)

Both slots have been working fine over the many many frames since.

Fortunately I'm not a pro :)

pp
  • OhiohikerOhiohiker Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2011
    I don't know how bent your pin is but I repaired mine 2 years ago without any further complications. My pin was bent over to about a 45 degree angle. As a Paramedic I have access to hypodermic needles and found one that slide over the pin and used to straighten the pin. If you know someone in the medical field that could get you and 18g and 20g needle you may try that. Just my $.02 worth.
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2011
    Depends on how far over the pin has been bent / flattened - but highly unlikely to work (imo) unless you've got a pair that are different / longer / thinner from any I've seen/used - and I've got some superb Lindstrom pcb / electronic (use) ones.
    Okay, fine, use a pair of hemostats. That oughta fit. But of course, that wasn't my point. My point was, unless you're insane, don't do it.

(And hey, I'm insane too sometimes. I've completely taken apart a D70 and put it back together, and had it work perfectly. But, for professional use, when you are being paid to capture pictures, it would simply be irresponsible to consider DIY pin-bending to be a long-term solution.

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2011
    Ohiohiker wrote: »
    I don't know how bent your pin is but I repaired mine 2 years ago without any further complications. My pin was bent over to about a 45 degree angle. As a Paramedic I have access to hypodermic needles and found one that slide over the pin and used to straighten the pin. If you know someone in the medical field that could get you and 18g and 20g needle you may try that. Just my $.02 worth.

Good call / well mentioned :)

At the time I also considered this - but no immediate access and - with workshop facilities, prob less hassle than trying to get one, bearing in mind the type of Qs I'd get asked ...

pp
  • FLYING EYEBALLFLYING EYEBALL Registered Users Posts: 183 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2011
    update
    Waiting to hear back from a local repair shop...
  • Stuart-MStuart-M Registered Users Posts: 157 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2011
    I had this happen to a Canon 40D a couple of years ago, in the end the service centre was the only way. This is the benefit of SD cards!!!
  • ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2011
    I would try what I read as a fix for CPU pins that get bent.

Try a mechanical pencil. Slide the tube where the lead comes out over the pin and straighten.

Worst case it breaks and you need to send it to a repair shop anyways.